1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

For Sale/Trade Kay C-1 1969

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by unbrokenchain, Feb 16, 2019.

1. unbrokenchain

unbrokenchain Supporting Member

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Price:
    Strings:
    1969 Kay C-1. Ready to gig. A few battle scars but solid, no repairs needed. Comes with pickup and Spirocore mittels.

This was my main bass for a year and a half of steady gigging, nearly 30k miles of touring. It sounded great but had an overly thin neck and an ugly old heel repair, I eventually bought another bass and gave this one the repair it needed (neck reset, carbon fiber inlays, fingerboard shimmed, new nut and bridge - documented here Why hide glue? ). Now it's butter. Only selling because I have two Kays and would like to work my way towards a carved instrument.

Will hear offers, but I think it's a fair price that reflects my hesitation to sell a great sounding, easy playing instrument.

As for trades, I would trade straight for a decent hybrid or carved bass in need of repair, plys considered but it would have to be something really cool. I would also consider partial trades (up to $1k) for usa p-bass or modern/lightweight amplification.

Thanks for looking!

IMG_0440.JPG IMG_0441.JPG IMG_0442.JPG IMG_0444.JPG IMG_0443.JPG IMG_0446.JPG IMG_0447.JPG IMG_0448.JPG IMG_0449.JPG IMG_0450.JPG IMG_0453.JPG

Last edited: Mar 25, 2019 at 6:04 PM
    bassfat, kinopah, jmain and 3 others like this.
  2. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    This bass is registered and verified at Kaybass.com.

basspraiser, rknea and unbrokenchain like this.
  3. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    @Steven Ayres this bass has been out your way, well Southern Utah and New Mexico anyway, in 2017 and 18.

4. Steven Ayres

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Are you thinking of selling?

5. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Uh yeah, I thought that was implicit with the "For Sale/Trade" header haha, maybe I missed something?

james condino and rknea like this.
  6. Steven Ayres

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Oops, well, I slept since then.

rknea and unbrokenchain like this.
  7. bassfat

bassfat

Oct 3, 2010
    I played this bass before the repairs and it was really nice then...so I know it's DOPE now!

unbrokenchain likes this.
  8. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    You wouldn't recognize it now, thing plays itself. Fatty sounds good on any bass he plays though

9. DoghouseKyle

DoghouseKyle Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2019
    What is the hatch door in the lower bout?

10. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    It's not a door (though I guess it could be modified to be one), it's an old patch job. I've tried unsuccessfully to take a photo, but the inside of that repair is lined with a piece of paper which is an ad or owner's manual for a Sears air compressor that looks like it dates from the 60s. So if I had to guess I'd say that repair is from the first few years of this bass's life. Weird patch, I call it character :)

11. DoghouseKyle

DoghouseKyle Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2019
    “Hatch door” comment was a joke, but i love the rest of the story.. sounds like owner just took her out to the barn... def a character tattoo! Love it..

12. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    where is the bass located now?
    thanks, joe

13. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Asheville, er, Ashevegas, er, Moustacheville. North Cackalack. Willing to drive a reasonable distance.

14. Bigbassguy

Bigbassguy

Jun 5, 2017
    thank you
    I'm in Seattle

j

15. unbrokenchain

Jun 8, 2011
    Asheville, NC
    Shucks, that's probably a little further than convenient :laugh:

16. kinopah

kinopah

Oct 19, 2014
    Man that thing is cool as hell.
    I've got a great US p-bass and Ampeg micro I could trade, but not much in liquid form presently. GLWS!