1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kay C-1 on CL: steal?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by FishstickFender, Sep 23, 2010.

1. FishstickFender

FishstickFender

Mar 24, 2010
    Just spotted this on CL and drove over to check it out. It belonged to the lady's boyfriend, who just passed away. She's asking 700 for it, I could probably get her down to 600-650. I didnt really like how it played (G and D were gut, which I dont care for), and it seemed a bit quiet to me. I gave a quick look inside but had no mirror or flashlight. Soundpost was in place but may need repositioning. the only glaring issue with it is the neck was cracked previously, all the way through. The repair seems stable enough, though not super clean the way you'd want it to be. What do you guys think?

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/msg/1968600759.html

2. I'd like to know what that black paint on the back and ribs is hiding.

3. drurb

drurb Oracle, Ancient Order of Rass Hattur; Mem. #1, EPC

Apr 17, 2004
    Well, that says it all, unless you just want to buy it to flip it. The black paint on the back and around the f-holes surely has devalued it.

4. bass_snake

bass_snake Inactive

Aug 13, 2008
    Stouffville, Ontario
    Yeah, I don' t like that black poop on it. :scowl:

Fred

5. maveriten

maveriten Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2008
    Nashville
    Have a look inside with a small flashlight. It may help you determine if the bass has suffered some serious damage. It could just be someone's "creativity" got the better of them. Also, pay very close attention to the neck. Many old plywood basses like this have poorly executed neck repairs. You could strip the whole thing down and refinish it; the aesthetics are easy fixes. I don't think anyone would object to that since the majority of the bass is already (badly) painted. If it's more or less a structurally sound, then it could make a good player with a bit of elbow grease. A good setup will surely improve the sound too. My default offer for an old plywood bass that needs love: $500.

6. MR PC

MR PC Inactive

Dec 1, 2007
    Remove that old Polytone PU from the bridge, and the bass will have MUCH more sound. Imagine trying to speak with a fishing weight on your tongue, that's what those old pickups do to the voice of the acoustic bass.

You might be able to flip the PU for a few dollars. If there is any serious structural damage, 500 buck tops, and only if you like the bass. I can't imagine paying much more.

7. catty

catty

Mar 25, 2006
    Montana
    I get a kick when instruments--especially violins--are advertised as having "just been tuned..."

I must say that my 60s C-1 was not much to listen to, either.