Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay Cellos?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jamesdotcom, Apr 30, 2002.

1. A friend of mine has a Kay Cello which has been in her family for ... a really long time.
    I know that Kay basses are generally respected. They're also somewhat rare, right?

Anyone here know anything about Kay cellos? Quality? Rarity?

Just curious, I know this isn't wholly DB related.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    They were made right alongside the basses, and in fact share serial numbers. Email me the # and I'll tell you the year.

They aren't as prized in the cello world as they are in the double bass world- to say the least. I just did a search on eBay and found one currently up at $100, no bids, and two in the completed category, neither of which broke $100. Oh well.

If it sounds good and is fun to play, who cares?

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Percy Heath played a Kay cello.

4. Thanks for both replies.

Bob - Thanks for the offer, I'll try and get that serial number; I'm really curious.

Jeff - Rather than mentioning the whole eBay thing, I'll just tell her that "Hey, ya know Percy Heath played a Kay cello". Speaking of which, I saw a picture of Percy Heath with a cello-looking thing with tuning machines! Or was it just a really, really small bass?

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    It was a cello.
    I was lucky enough to get some good hang time with Percy as he was a customer of my former employ. He is also a famous fisherman in these parts and I'm big into it as well, so we would always talk fishing when he came in. His wife, June, actually held a women's world record for fluke. Percy always said, "Yeah,- I'm the 3F man. Fishin', Fiddlin, and that other thang.