1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kay Cellos?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by jamesdotcom, Apr 30, 2002.

1. A friend of mine has a Kay Cello which has been in her family for ... a really long time.
    I know that Kay basses are generally respected. They're also somewhat rare, right?

Anyone here know anything about Kay cellos? Quality? Rarity?

Just curious, I know this isn't wholly DB related.

2. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    They were made right alongside the basses, and in fact share serial numbers. Email me the # and I'll tell you the year.

They aren't as prized in the cello world as they are in the double bass world- to say the least. I just did a search on eBay and found one currently up at $100, no bids, and two in the completed category, neither of which broke $100. Oh well.

If it sounds good and is fun to play, who cares?

3. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    Percy Heath played a Kay cello.

4. Thanks for both replies.

Bob - Thanks for the offer, I'll try and get that serial number; I'm really curious.

Jeff - Rather than mentioning the whole eBay thing, I'll just tell her that "Hey, ya know Percy Heath played a Kay cello". Speaking of which, I saw a picture of Percy Heath with a cello-looking thing with tuning machines! Or was it just a really, really small bass?

5. Jeff Bollbach

Jeff Bollbach Jeff Bollbach Luthier, Inc.

Dec 12, 2001
    freeport, ny
    It was a cello.
    I was lucky enough to get some good hang time with Percy as he was a customer of my former employ. He is also a famous fisherman in these parts and I'm big into it as well, so we would always talk fishing when he came in. His wife, June, actually held a women's world record for fluke. Percy always said, "Yeah,- I'm the 3F man. Fishin', Fiddlin, and that other thang.