Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay Double Bass Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Laurence U., Feb 24, 2004.

1. Laurence U.

Laurence U.

Oct 25, 2003
    London
    Wondering if anybody knows anything about kay bows. The one i am looking at is german. I am mostly a french player, but thought i would pick up a cheap german to try and learn with. My french bow is an extremely high quality pernambuco stick, and i know this basic kay one cant compare completely, but is it a good beginners bow?

2. I played a Kay french bow a while back, I think it belonged to a school or something. It looked horrible, but it was actually not bad. If you could get one cheap it might not be a bad spare bow...

3. I'll try to be careful here...I don't want to bring on the wrath of all you Kay fans again!
    The Kay bows I remember were made out of a white colored wood. I'm afraid to say pine, but I stripped one once and it was white. Hardly any curve, not straight. Slide and ferrule ...one piece of metal! German plastic frog. Plastic tip. Phony leather grip.
    A piece of **** Please, this is only my opinion. Don't put a contract out on me!!!

4. Laurence U.

Laurence U.

Oct 25, 2003
    London
    Thanks eversomuch, thats what i thought to be honest. As i said, i am a classical bassist, who uses French bow exclusively. I have had enquiries from a little kid i teach about german bow, and found i was completely unable to answer. I might look for a slightly better german bow before i start though!! Many thanks, Laurence

5. Gollihur.com For a nice, octagon Brazil wood, German bow about $158w/ shipping.
    lemur@lemurmusic.com Someone told me about a Brazil wood bow at Lemur for $125. Probably someone here on TB. Worth a call anyway.....1-800-246-bass 2277

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i too stripped a kay bow once and found the same thing that Paul did..white wood and twisty like a pretzel...

Gollihur's bows are very nice for the price. A student of mine has on each of French and German. You wouldn't think they are $150 sticks...