Kay Double Bass Bows

Discussion in 'Bows and Rosin [DB]' started by Laurence U., Feb 24, 2004.

1. Laurence U.

Laurence U.

Oct 25, 2003
    Wondering if anybody knows anything about kay bows. The one i am looking at is german. I am mostly a french player, but thought i would pick up a cheap german to try and learn with. My french bow is an extremely high quality pernambuco stick, and i know this basic kay one cant compare completely, but is it a good beginners bow?
  2. I played a Kay french bow a while back, I think it belonged to a school or something. It looked horrible, but it was actually not bad. If you could get one cheap it might not be a bad spare bow...
  3. I'll try to be careful here...I don't want to bring on the wrath of all you Kay fans again!
    The Kay bows I remember were made out of a white colored wood. I'm afraid to say pine, but I stripped one once and it was white. Hardly any curve, not straight. Slide and ferrule ...one piece of metal! German plastic frog. Plastic tip. Phony leather grip.
    A piece of **** Please, this is only my opinion. Don't put a contract out on me!!!
  4. Laurence U.

Laurence U.

Oct 25, 2003
    Thanks eversomuch, thats what i thought to be honest. As i said, i am a classical bassist, who uses French bow exclusively. I have had enquiries from a little kid i teach about german bow, and found i was completely unable to answer. I might look for a slightly better german bow before i start though!! Many thanks, Laurence
  5. Gollihur.com For a nice, octagon Brazil wood, German bow about $158w/ shipping.
    lemur@lemurmusic.com Someone told me about a Brazil wood bow at Lemur for $125. Probably someone here on TB. Worth a call anyway.....1-800-246-bass 2277
  6. godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i too stripped a kay bow once and found the same thing that Paul did..white wood and twisty like a pretzel...

Gollihur's bows are very nice for the price. A student of mine has on each of French and German. You wouldn't think they are $150 sticks...