1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Kay EB-100 bass guitar

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Rainman162, Feb 15, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Rainman162

Rainman162

Feb 15, 2018
    Hi guys, I'm hoping that all you bass guitar experts can help me with some info'. I have a Kay EB-100 electric bass guitar, serial no: 100526, made in Taiwan.
    I play classical acoustic guitar but I bought this some years ago meaning to give bass a go. I've never got round to it so might as well sell it. The guitar is in pretty good condition. How can I find out what year it was made and an approximate value?
    I hope you can help, thanks in advance.

Ray

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    First of all, welcome to Talk Bass! :thumbsup:
    Next; one of the rules here - the real rules - is that you have to be a supporting member to talk prices. There are other benefits to being one, too, but talking $$'s requires it. However, I will say that if you Google "Kay eb-100", and click on the Reverb.com listing there, your question just might get answered....;)
    In general, though, Kays are a mixed bag. They were originally an old American instrument company - the old Kay upright basses are pretty desirable, and can be pricey - but they fell on hard times, and the name was acquired by a couple of companies over the years, whose product's quality varied quite a bit. The Kay hollow body electric basses and guitars are in some demand by collectors and players; the solid body stuff? Not so much. They aren't bad instruments; they were simply instruments made overseas, to a lower price point than American instruments. The tuners and electronics will be serviceable, but not top shelf stuff (although the pick ups may surprise you), and the neck will probably need a shim - simply because it's old. But, if it sets up like it should, and everything works like it should? It'll sound just fine and be a lot of fun. I have several basses and guitars from that era (not Kays - no leftys, alas) and they play and sound like they should.. have fun with your Kay, and, again - welcome! :cool:

rtslinger likes this.
  3. Steven Ayres

Steven Ayres Supporting Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Northern Arizona
    Check out similar instruments branded Teisco and Checkmate -- all the same operation.

4. Rainman162

Rainman162

Feb 15, 2018
    Thanks a lot, very useful info'.