Kay is this a good deal??????

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by BassGreaser, Aug 24, 2002.

1. BassGreaser

Aug 22, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Hi fellow DB.
    I'm new to playing upright. One of my friends has a old kay C1. It has some dents and cheaps here and there. It plays well. He put a crappy bridge on it, and it looks like it has a maple fingure board. He said he'll sell it to my for $700. Is this a good deal?
    I'm going to sand it down and put a nitrocellulose lacquer on it myself. Any input would help greatly
  2. While the price looks to be quite reasonable, I suggest that you take the instrument to a bass luthier and get an estimate on how much it is going to cost to get it in good playing shape before making the deal final.
  3. Unfortunately, they did use maple on some of the some of the bottom end basses. I've had to replace several of them over the years. I've also seen ebony and what appeared to be american walnut boards (from the factory) on some Kays.
  4. Joe Taylor

Joe Taylor

Dec 20, 2001
    Tracy CA
    Forget the refinish job more work than it is worth and will not enhance the value and could decrease it a little. At $700 you won't get hurt. Some people are paying $2500+ for some Kays. The Kay bass is hot right now in bluegrass bands.

5. arnoldschnitzer

arnoldschnitzer AES Fine Instruments

Feb 16, 2002
    Brewster, NY, USA
    I agree--skip the Nitro! Lacquer is a very hard and brittle finish, generally unsuitable for a bass, which sounds best with a more flexible finish, like oil varnish. Sounds like a good deal to me. Check the neck joint and bass bar, two weak areas on old Kays. And if you do refinish, make sure all seams and edges are thoroughly glued tight. Otherwise you'll contaminate those spots with finish, and they'll never glue up right again...Bob B. is right--I've seen old Kays with maple, walnut, and butternut fingerboards.