1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Kay M-3 Bass $350 obo! Greater Boston area

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by AverageWhiteBassist, Oct 24, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Here is a sweet 1/4 size Kay M3 bass. It's a nice travel bass, takes care of size issues, still puts out good sound and fits in the front passenger seat of a car. It could use some love-a pro set up but the bones are there. Some lamination chips along lower bout, some along sides. Overall fair shape and price reflects that. Cheap enough for a beginner/crossover from bass guitar, Kay's are rugged enough for someone who can make it whistle. I'll take pics later, my son loves it and if I take pics with him up he won't let it go. Funny to watch a 3.5 year old hold the bass up. I travel over most of New England, Portland ME to Hartford CT. PM me if interested.

2. M Ramsey

M Ramsey

Mar 12, 2005
    North Carolina
    Any pics available?

3. Wish I had the extra cash. I'm in the area and my five-year-old has been asking for a bass, but $350 would wipe out most of my Christmas fund. Please let me know if no one bites at your asking price and I'll see what I can do.

4. 1st two

Attached Files:

• m31.
      m31.jpg
      File size:
      31 KB
      Views:
    • m32.
      m32.jpg
      File size:
      25.5 KB
      Views:
  5. 3 and 4

Attached Files:

• m33.
      m33.jpg
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
    • m34.
      m34.jpg
      File size:
      35.6 KB
      Views:
  6. If there is any requests, I will take a pic of any certain area. Not used to what the key parts are on uprights.

Attached Files:

• m35.
      m35.jpg
      File size:
      31.1 KB
      Views:
  7. Steve Freides

Steve Freides Former Mannes College Theory Faculty Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Hi. I'd think a 1/4 size would be too big for a five-year-old. I have one that I rent out - the kids here start playing in school in the 5th grade, and a 1/4 is about right for that and even through 7th or 8th grade for many. Mine is a Roma bought from Ideal on 22nd Street in NYC when they were still selling basses.

-S-

8. How tall are these kids? My daughter stands 44" in her stocking feet.

9. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    44" - that's 4" less than 4 feet tall. A quick Google says the average 5th grader is about a foot taller than your daughter, or between 4' 6" and 5' tall.

I found this online

http://www.gollihurmusic.com/faq/2-SIZES_DOUBLE_BASS_SIZING_FAQ.html

and this

http://doublebassguide.com/?page_id=3

scroll down to Sizes for the above link, which is in centimeters.

I _think_ that the Kay 1/4's may be on the small side for that size bass, so that may help your cause here, but I'm not sure if it helps enough. With the understanding that I am no expert on this, I'd be looking at a 1/8 size in your situation.

-S-

10. OK. Thank you for your guidance.

11. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Bass sizing is just odd. I've owned three 3/4 basses and they're all been different. At least on guitars, which I know better, there are things like the Martin sizing of single through triple O and then dreadnaught, all with about the same scale length but progressively bigger bodies.

The main kicker is that adults play full sized guitars. I've got any number of guitar students playing 1/2, 3/4, and even 7/8 sized guitars, and the sizing is pretty standard.

In the interest of full disclosure, I sent the seller a PM about this - I don't think it will work for me because it looks too beat for me to rent in my relatively affluent town here, but it is probably at least the right size for the 5th grade students I teach. If I was handier and had more time, it might be interesting to try to clean up the chipped finish, maybe just by matching the varnish as opposed to replacing the wood. If I did it, I'd probably look for a good color match in a Sharpie and start coloring, but my wife is handier when it comes to this sort of thing and I might be able to enlist her help.

I ramble so I'll stop.

-S-

12. Take this for what it is worth-I know I am the seller-but truth is my grandma was 4'8" and played a 3/4 bass. Thanks!

13. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Yeah, I've seen people play all sorts of basses that are _way_ too big - playing in half position, they look like they're practically raising their hand in class.

This is really another subject, but sizing a bass is worth a lot of thought. I've got a student now, a tall-for-her-age 6th grade girl, who's playing a 3/4. But she's got long legs and short arms, and the scale length is problematic for her. We have to have the peg out too much, and the nut too high, just so that she can reach the area between the end of the fingerboard and the bridge with her bow. I think arm length might be more relevant to sizing than leg length or overall height.

Here's a picture of me and my 5th grade student playing my 1/4 size bass that he rents from me, and me with me at 5' 7" but fairly long arms playing my 3/4 size. This was taken last week by the student's Dad. He had his lesson again today and I asked him how tall he was - he said pretty exactly 5 feet tall now.

Attached Files:

14. Bump! Not pictured, but I added an adjustable bridge.

15. Steve Freides

Dec 11, 2007
    Ridgewood, NJ
    Anyone reading along with this - if you were going to take the cheapest route possible to "coloring" the chips in the finish without giving the entire instrument a refinish/repair, what would you do? I wasn't kidding about using a Sharpie in my earlier post - that's what I would try, but if anyone know something better, I'm all ears, e.g., could you take the bass to a paint store and, like they will match a paint color, would they be able to come up with a matching stain/varnish/something? I am truly clueless when it comes to woodworking but I am curious.

What do you think a local luthier might charge to do this, and would they even accept the job, and would it actually look better?

So many questions ...

Thanks in advance.

-S-

16. Mgaisbacher

Mgaisbacher Supporting Member

Oct 18, 2012
    Nashville, TN
    What's the strong length on this thing?

17. Sorry, I don't know what the strong length means. Scale length? Just over 35 inches (most 5 string bass scale) if that is what you meant. Also, I just threw a new set of Super Sensitive strings on it. Very basic, but at least they are new strings.

18. To where? It's short enough it shouldn't be catastrophic, but I'm sure it's $100 pretty easily.

19. Bump. Lots of PMs, but no deal yet.

20. OK, I would like to make this happen so $300 local deal, I have a box if you are interested in shipping but it will be expensive and I will not cover any shipping costs. All PMs replied.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.