kay pricing and help

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by mattwells, Dec 30, 2003.

1. mattwells

Mar 19, 2003
    I know I am opening up a big can of worms here with all i have read about inflated Kay pricing and all, but I have found a kay for what is a (I think) reasonable price, but wanted you guys' opinions. It is priced at 1200, and the serial number places it at 1941, but there is no tag inside of the bass (I guess called a maker's tag or something of that sort), the SN is written in pencil (which is consistent with what I read on kaybass.com). Does this seem to be a rip, or is it reasonably priced? It sounds good to my (not so well trained) ears, and has had a recent fingerboard plane, new bridge, and other minor set-up work.

Thanks guys,
  2. Brent Norton

Brent Norton

Sep 26, 2003
    Detroit, MI
    if it's solid, plays well and sounds good, that sounds like a fair price -- again, that's if the bass is good to go and doesn't need any more work/parts/repairs.
  3. That does sound like a good price. My Kay also has no label. The model number and serial number is stamped in with black ink. It never hurts to take it to a luthier and have it checked out. If you have a teacher (and you should) have them check it out as well.