Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay S-1 please help

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by MAJOR METAL, Jun 24, 2003.

1. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am a bass guitarist( I would like to try and learn upright) and i have an chance at getting a Kay S-1 upright, could you guys give some feedback and if you think $500 is a good price. Thanks

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    No, instead you should have the guy who is selling it contact me, and I'll buy it:D .

Yes, it is a good price if it is in decent shape. Have a luthier check it out; Kay's are notorious for bad neck joints and may need to be reset. Even if it has this problem, $500 is a good price. Kays generally sell for $1200-2500 depending on the location and the shape it is in.

Monte

3. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    $500 could be a very good price depending on the condition.

Fair warning though: You could easily spend another $500-1,000 getting the bass into playable condition.

You really need to have a luthier take a look before you buy it.

Chas

4. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

it was already sold:( . I am going to be doing alot of moving around in the next few years what bass in it's smallest size would you recomend as beginer bass for some one who is proficant at electric bass.

5. Marcus Johnson

Marcus Johnson

Nov 28, 2001
    Maui
    3/4 size is pretty much the norm, though there's no standard size within that category. It depends upon your mode of travel, but it seems there's always room in almost any car for the essentials (bass, toothbrush...). If you're flying, you're at the mercy of the airlines, and will probably need to rent a hard case for transporting the bass.