Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kay sizes?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by yesdot, Apr 1, 2004.

1. yesdot

yesdot

Mar 8, 2004
    Sydney Australia
    Were Kay M1's made in sizes other than 3/4?
    Seller doesn't know size...
    Thanks!

2. Randy Ward

Randy Ward Formally Known As Univac Jr. Supporting Member

Hi
    Go here to read about the sizes:

http://www.kaybass.com/

But if he tells you it is a M2 for example it could still be 3/4.
    I have a M2 serial number 1364 and it is 3/4 .
    Ask the seller to measure it from the headstock to the bottom of the bass. I think 72 inches is 3/4

Randy

3. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    Basses in sizes other than 3/4 had different model numbers. An M3 is like an M1 but in 1/4 size, etc.

4. olivier

olivier

Dec 17, 1999
    Paris, France
    If I remember correctly Kay (as nowdays Englehardt) had only two sizes of molds for bass 3/4 and 1/4.

5. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

I know that is currently true of Engelhardt, and I have read the same of Kay. But I also have seen stated several time in various places that the Kay Company did produce 1/2 basses during the WWII era. I have seen more than once folks selling old Kays and calling them 1/2s. It is, of course, always possible that they were 1/4s.

6. I have played a Kay 1/2 and so can confirm that they made that size. A gent was selling 2 Kays, he had thought they were a full size and 3/4, but my luthier had provided me with the measurements with which to check them. It was definitely a 1/2 size. I decided not to buy them, my luthier told me the 1/2 would be difficult to resell. I wanted the 3/4 but the gent wanted to sell them together.

7. I have several old Kay catalogs/brochures where Kay referred to their smaller size basses as "Junior" size with no mention of it being 1/4 or 1/2 size. Since Kay was making these instruments long before the MENC standards were created in 1952, I suspect that Kay had a lot of influence with the people who drafted the original MENC standards so that what they were making became the "standard" rather than Kay having to change their intruments to meet standards set by MENC.

8. Gary C

Gary C

Mar 16, 2004
    Canton Oh
    Coincidently I stopped ina music store today (to ask for directions!) and noticed an old bass in the corner. So I went over to look at it and it was an old Kay about the same size as my Englehardt M3. Looked inside the box and it was also labeled as an M3! I think those ar 1/4 size basses. They're great if you're about the size of a fourth grader!