Kay Tailpice Emblem

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by jolasa, Oct 24, 2011.

1. jolasa

jolasa

Oct 24, 2011
  2. bassist14

bassist14

Oct 17, 2005
    Germany
  3. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    If you have a 1940 Kay this is NOT the correct emblem for your bass.

Hook up with TB member Jake DeVilliers; he has the correct decal emblem for this year. You can buy direct from him at the Bass Spa…Google that name you will find his website.

4. Jake deVilliers

Jake deVilliers Commercial User

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Owner of The Bass Spa, String Repairman at Long & McQuade Vancouver
    Hey Wendy, thanks for the nod! ;)

I was just going to email you on a different topic entirely. Do you know anybody in the Ringoes, New Jersey area who's a really good banjo setup person? I'm asking for a friend. Thanks, Jake

5. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    No problem. I have a real “issue” with the wrong emblems showing up on basses. I have no problem with re-issue as long as it is correct for the vintage of the bass. :rollno:

As far as a banjo luthier I am sure Banjo Hangout has a list of recommended luthier. I know of only one reputable set up guy in our area. He is a fabulous player, great person and very, very picky with his banjo set up. This is the only guy I can recommend, Mike Munford, 717-235-4058, Glen Rock, PA

6. jolasa

jolasa

Oct 24, 2011
    Kay used decals 1937-1951.

Metal emblems were used 1952-1969.

Here is the proper decal for a 1940 Kay bass:

decal3.jpg

7. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Correct. There were four different styles of decals used over the years. That photo of Tom Shepp's 1939 M-1 tailpiece was lifted from my website.

8. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    Thanks Wendy! ;)

9. Here's Jake's reproduction decal on my '40 Kay. A couple years ago when Jake was working my bass over, I asked him if he could figure-out a way to replace the missing decal on the rosewood tailpiece. Between himself, his Son, and his Son's friend, they managed to come up with a nice repro decal with proper script and color based on the photo (above) that Tom Shepp sent him :D . A great and successful team effort.

CIMG0986.jpg

armybass likes this.
  10. Ha. I'm shocked, shocked to hear that. ;)

210superair likes this.
  11. Steve Boisen

Steve Boisen Your first second choice™ Supporting Member

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    My Kay M-1 has a serial number of 21784 which dates it to 1949. It does not have a tailpiece decal/emblem and the word "Kay" does not appear on the back of the scroll. There is also no label, although the model and serial numbers are stamped on the inside like I've seen on other Kay basses. I'm told that this is probably because my bass was sold by a third party retailer like a department store. Does anyone know if this is true?

Anyway, a few years ago I installed the metal Kay emblem on the tailpiece, but I guess I should have opted for the decal if it's '49. Perhaps I fill the holes and order a decal.

- Steve

12. MollyKay

MollyKay

Sep 10, 2006
    Southern PA
    Bass Hobby'ist
    We have several examples of un-labeled Kay’s, meaning just as you describe. No tail emblem, no paper tag and no embossed Kay scrip at the base of the scroll. I have two 1944 Kay’s that are pretty much identical except one is labeled and one is not. You can see the slide show comparison here.

Unlabeled:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

Labeled:

Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

My understanding is the unlabeled Kay’s were sold through catalog or department store sales such as Montgomery Wards, Sears, etc.

The correct decal for your bass would be this one which to my knowledge has not been reproduced by anyone.

NewHollyBass019.jpg

The reproduction metal script logo that can be bought at Bob Gollihur’s website came into use somewhere around the early 1950’s. I have several original examples of the script metal logo on basses dating from 1950 and later.

photo.jpg

Vince8109007.jpg

13. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    That make sense to me, but Roger Stowers of kaybass.com doesn't seem to think this is the case. He thinks the Kay script on the scroll of my bass was sanded off during finishing and the label and tailpiece decal fell off over time. Personally, I don't think my bass ever had these elements and your information and pictures support this.

Thanks for the info. Maybe I'll apply the earlier decal anyway. It stands to reason that an old decal could have been used in '49 rather than the metal emblem which didn't appear until the 1950's.

BTW if you want to see and hear my Kay in action you can visit my website. My daughter and I perform original music in an all acoustic duo called The Barnkickers.

- Steve

14. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    This could also be true. I've got two vintage Kays on the bench right now- both similar models within about 6 months of each other. One has a very clear stamp on the back of the pegbox /scroll /volute, and the other very clearly has nothing marked on it- either sanded away or never marked originally.

Have you turned all of the regular lights off and gone over these two areas using just a black light? They can be quite a secret weapon for restoration work, showing old finishes, possible imprinting from where a stamp once existed, old glues, and sticker residue leftover on the tailpiece and possibly the location of an old label.

j.

RSBBass and 210superair like this.
  15. gprigge

gprigge

Dec 19, 2007
    Rice Lake, Wis.
    I have a M-1B Kay, 21893. I believe it's a 1949. It has the remnants of the decal posed by MollyKay. No letter on the back of the scroll.

16. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    Here's a pic of me with my 1949 M-1, albiet with the "wrong" tailpiece emblem.

[​IMG]

- Steve

17. james condino

james condino Spruce dork Supporting Member Commercial User

Sep 30, 2007
    asheville, nc
    Cool bass; what's with the old guy in the background?

210superair likes this.
  18. Steve Boisen

Dec 3, 2003
    Tampa Bay, FL
    I think he's just there to hold the bass up...or maybe it's the other way around :smug:

- Steve

james condino and 210superair like this.
  19. Jake deVilliers

May 24, 2006
    Crescent Beach, BC
    :D

20. tomshepp

tomshepp Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2006
    Maynard MA
    Actually, it's both, but they switch, usually somewhere between the second and third set. Definitely by the fourth set though.:)

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021