Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Kazaa Lite users

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Schwinn, Dec 8, 2003.

1. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Seen the news that Kazaa lite was rundown by the original Kazaa? (Links on front page) How many of you still do the file-sharing thing and if you used Kazaa lite, what else do you plan to use? What are the good ones without spyware/adware?

I don't do much file sharing but I used to use WinMx before Kazaa lite.

2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    rundown? Huh?

I was using KaZaaLite last night, found everything I was looking for.

-Mike

3. Vince S.

Vince S. Resident Former Bassist

Jan 24, 2003
    I'm using it right now.

I don't think that it was shut down; you just can't download it off of the Klite website anymore. But there are still other websites on the net that let you download it.

4. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    From what I read it sounded like it was getting taken down, starting with eliminating download sources for the program.

Here's one of the blurbs:

Kazaa shuts down Kazaa Lite
    By Jan Libbenga
    Posted: 08/12/2003 at 12:02 GMT

This weekend users of Kazaa Lite K++ learned that almost every download site of the popular peer-to-peer file-sharing application had disappeared, including the links on its own home page.

Sharman Networks, the company behind the original Kazaa, approached the ISP of every website that hosted the program and ordered its removal on grounds of copyright infringement.

Kazaa Lite K++ is one of many light versions of the popular file-sharing program, but it wasn't developed by Sharman Networks. K++ was set up to offer a version free of the growing amount of spy and adware within the original Kazaa Media Desktop Program. In exchange for installing Kazaa Media Desktop without charge, the GAIN Network and Cydoor spyware will show you online ads. Remove these add-ins and Kazaa simply won’t work. Kazaa does offer an ad-free Plus version for $29.95, but naturally, most Kazaa users preferred the free versions widely available on the Web.

Although there are still plenty of sites where Kazaa Lite can be downloaded, the program may no longer function properly, according to Slyck.com. Kazaa Lite is based on a Kazaa version prior to 2.5. Therefore a current supernode (a computer that contains a list of some of the files made available by other Kazaa users) in the Kazaa Network will not accept its shares. "The speed of the application will pummel to the ground and (drive Kazaa Lite) out of existence," a user notes.

As expected, most Kazaa Lite fans are gnashing their teeth. Here is an attack from Slyck.com: "This latest act from Sharman punctuates a long history of hypocrisy that involves the protection of their own intellectual property rights, yet blatantly ignoring the copyrights of others."

Many Kazaa Lite users will probably divert to other Kazaa clones, such as GIFT, which connects to the Fasttrack, Openfasttrack, Opennapster (old Napster) and Gnutella networks. Still alive and kicking is also the Diet K add-in, which removes all spyware from the original KaZaA Desktop without crippling it. ®

5. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister

Apr 12, 2001
    Lacey, WA
    interesting.....that story is dated almost four months ago......must be a really slow process....i have never had a problem finding stuff......i think the amount of users is down since the big RIAA scare tho.....i also get a pop-up requesting me to upgrade to the new KaZaa version, which i promptly ignore.

-Mike

6. My KaZaA Lite K++ is still working.

But I don't have any audio files on it. So the RIAA can bite me.

7. bentem

bentem

Oct 18, 2002
    Rockville, MD
    My kazaalite works fine also. I have a lot of songs on it. I tinhk son ill get a lot of them off my computer, and burn cd's. That is, before that AIM virus eats away my computer completley.

8. Gabe

Gabe

Jan 21, 2003
    I don't use it, but there are links about it on the front page of TB.

9. when you install kazaa lite, it makes the "shared folder" for you, and places the zip file for kazaa lite into that folder. if you want it, you can search for it on kazaa, download it, uninstall k, and install klite. no need for websites to host it. anyone who installs it hosts it by default (unless they delete it).

10. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
  11. Tsal

Tsal

Jan 28, 2000
    Finland, EU
    No, no, it's the sites that you can download the PROGRAM from that are taken down, not the network. Apparently the company didn't like someone making the Lite-version without the adware thingies.

12. Killdar

Killdar

Dec 16, 2002
    Portland Maine
    I'm always installing things and uninstalling things, but I always stash my .exe programs in a folder in case I want to use it again. Klite is resting dormantly right now, but in half a minute it could be functional again.

13. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    Cool :D

14. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yup... If you don't get Klite you can always get something to install onto the Kazaa code to get rid of the ad-ware sh*t.

15. i have noticed this lately. nothing, and i mean NOTHING will download any faster than about 15 kb/s :meh:

guess its time to start looking for alternatives?

16. Eh? I looked for a song I knew would download for sure (Blink 182 - The Rock Show). Check this speed:

[​IMG]

17. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland