Kazumi Watanabe, Richard Bona, "El Negro" DVD

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Peter Parker, Sep 8, 2005.

1. Peter Parker

Peter Parker Banned

Jun 10, 2001
    I just received this DVD. I'll first say that I'm a big fan of trio's. Nothing more pure than three great musician's on a stage doing their thing. Also, I'm a huge Horacio Hernandez fan. I love his style, especially with Anthony Jackson. Throw in a pinch of Richard Bona and a dash of Kazumi you have the recipe of a very hot trio. Kazumi is a fantastic guitar player with a unique style. I like his playing and have an earlier video of him with Bill Bruford and Jeff Berlin that is quite good as well. This DVD far surpasses that one in terms of video quality, sound, (16/9 widescreen 5.1dts) and most importantly playing. Hernandez has a groove that just flat out feels better to me than Bruford. Broford's good but lacks soul, very angular. The same comparison can be made for Berlin and Bona. Berlin is obviously a great player but seems to always play from his head, whereas with Bona you get the sense that he plays from the heart, truly feeling every note he plays and in so doing, you feel it too. This is a very well done and entertaining DVD, this coming from a person no longer really into this kind of music. It's not cheap as it is currently available through import only, but at $38.99 from Abstractlogix.com it's well worth it.
  2. Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV

I was listening to the MoBop tracks on Audiophile and I have been meaning to score it for some time. Very cool. I had The Spice of Life when I was in high school, and I wore it out...I also had a very sweet Kazumi record with Bunny Brunel, but can't remember the name of it. Thanks for hipping me to the DVD. I think Berlin's finest work is the Gradually Going Tornado stuff, though he continues to evolve.