Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Keef" Richards

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Jingle_W_Clark, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    All this Superbowl talk got me thinking about Keith Richards. Someone mentioned that Ron Wood did an amazing job and that Keith will surely get all the credit as usual..

Now.. I must ask... why is this?

For all the years they've been together, there have always been stellar guitarists with the Stones... like Ronnie Wood and Mick Taylor, and even Brian Jones was mega talented.

But why is Keith the "famous" one... when he is, IMO, just a simple rythm guitarist. Am I missing something? Does he even play lead on any of the Stones songs?

Why the fuss? Is it because he has lived about 25 years past his life expectancy already?

2. Prolly because he's the principle songwriter?

3. In the Chuck Berry movie "Hail, hail Rock 'N' Roll" (I think that's
    the title), he tells Keith, "you play some pretty chords".
    Maybe there's more to it than being just a rhythm guitarist.

4. As a whole I enjoy Ron Wood's work more than Richard's work.

5. oldrocker

oldrocker

Feb 13, 2005
    Long Island, NY
    :confused:

Really, I though Ron Wood in particular,and the Stones in general sounded like shiat. I think the Stones started down that slippery slope when they replaced Mick taylor with Ron Wood. I liked Ron Wood as Bass player with Jeff Beck many years ago, but never thought he was much of a guitar player.

6. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    His work? He plays his guitar in open G and makes alot of bar chords... I taught myself open G tuning once online in about 5minutes....lol

Keith solo is pretty atrocious. His voice makes him sound like someone who used to be a really good singer.. but who then got lung cancer and wanted to sing on their deathbed.

7. Well Wonder boy , you indeed missed the part where I said "as a whole".

Go get the first Jeff Beck Group Record, Go check out the Faces, Go listen to his first four solo albums, check out The Creation, come back and then tell me how you taught yourself all his albums in 5 minutes . Ever listen to the Rolling Stones? There really isn't a lot of room for anything other than bar chords in a band like that.

8. For the record, I didn't say amazing . I said Ron made keith look like a beginner. In all truth the whole band sounded crappy , but thats the Superbowl for ya.

9. Jingle_W_Clark

Jingle_W_Clark Banned

Feb 4, 2006
    Uh..... so since when did Keith play with the Faces or Jeff Beck? I meant Keith... and I simply meant he plays most of his rythm parts in open G, which is easy to learn... I learned how to tune to open G and play its chords in about 5 minutes....

Thanks for inquiring.

10. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    keith richards and john lennon are the best rhythm guitarists in history, imo. lennon was so solid you could set a watch by him. keith, you need to listen to bootlegs of him in the studio. he may not have played "chugga chugga" straight rhythm but the guy definatley knows what to play, where to play it, how to play it period. i love ron and keith.
    also i defy anyone on this thread to have done as much coke and heoine as keith and still be alive.

11. whatever

12. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I think it's funny that you have a band that's been round for 40 years at the top of their profession and suddenly because people happened to see them at a sports event for a few minutes, they know all about them!! ;)

13. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Btw, what's with his fingers? His joints look all swollen up :eyebrow:

14. ROTFLMAO!!!:D :D :D

15. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

Open G may be easy to learn, but to do what Keef does is something special in my opinion. He's limited, but he is the undisputed heart and soul of the Stones. The band loses Keef and the Stones are totally over. Jagger is a great front man, but compare Mick's solo stuff with Keef's. Absolutely no comparison. Keef's solo stuff rocks as hard as anything the Stones have done.

Keef does what Keef does.

16. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

While we're mentioning the greatest rhythm guitarists ever, let's not forget Pete Townsend.

17. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I'll say three words.... EXILE ON MAIN ST.
    Keith at his best!

18. plexibass

plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    ooooooooops. and the who are in my top 5.

19. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    Keef is starting to look like Yoda.