1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeley Bassist Compressor/Limiter!!!!!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by RodneyMac, Aug 31, 2015.

1. Whoa!!! This thing is KILLER! Best damn compressor I have ever used....kicks ASS on my Diamond Bass compressor! Never NEVER have I used a device that enhanced my sound WITHOUT coloring it. Tone to kill for, presence like I've never had, live it's awesome.

2. How do you find the bottom end? Most users report a bass cut with theirs.

3. jbybj

jbybj Supporting Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I must have missed those reports. My Keeley bassist Brings me nothing but joy and big bottom.

4. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Man, I need to get one of these things.

lowplaces likes this.
  5. It retains the bottom end, and even adds a bit of fatness (may be my imagination) but for the most part my bass sounds like my bass only smoother and more even. I really like it.

GMC likes this.
  6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Really? I haven't seen that.

7. taylor16

taylor16

Dec 25, 2012
    USA
    Never heard any such "bass cut" with mine. Best damn compressor I've ever used.

lowplaces likes this.
  8. Ah...I might be getting my "bassist and non bassist and GC-2 and non GC-2" versions confused...my bad. I'm geting old and forgetful...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2015
  9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The Bassist does react to the lows more than the GC-2, so for heavy players using high settings it could seem like it's losing some low end strength just due to the compression.

But I still wonder about the "most users" comment since I really have not seen that said even once. Is this on HC?

10. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

I have a Bassist. IMO it's the best at doing what it's designed to do. About the only compressor pedal I could see leaving permanently in my signal chain.

If you want something incredibly transparent and clean, quietly sweeping up the junk in the background, The Bassist will do it for you.

If you want more coloration, or an effect-ty compressed sound, look elsewhere.

11. Matt Morgan

Matt Morgan Fellow Conspirator Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2001
    Plano, TX
    Absolutely no low end loss in my experience. My Roscoe 5 strings are as big and bad as ever using the Bassist. As I have commented before in other threads about the Keeley, I find that this is the most transparent and most user friendly pedal compressor I have ever used and the only one that I have actually kept on my effects board.

cms, fclefgeoff and tink9975 like this.
  12. tink9975

tink9975

Aug 10, 2006
    MoCo, MD
    No Low end loss here, mostly playing a PJ5 tuned down a half step.
    the Bassist is very transparent and has required very little tweaking to get the sound I have been looking for.

13. Jason Hollar

Jason Hollar It Don’t Mean A Thing... Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Pittsburgh area
    I'm very happy with mine as well.

14. invalidprotocol

invalidprotocol Supporting Member

Dec 11, 2008
    DFW
    Glad to hear the results you're getting with the Keely. I'm considering one of these for good results AND simplification. My MXR M87 works great but to get the results I want seems to be a battle on a micro scale with those knobs. Either that or I'm really picky.

15. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    Got one a few days ago, and I don't really know what to think. It's transparent, but it's so transparent that I can't really say when the compressor is on! Seriously, is that the normal behaviour of this pedal?

I recorded a clip because I can't notice much difference when on or off..

Recorded direct, no amp. I set the threshold where the red light is on when playing notes.
    0:00 pedal off
    0:13 Pedal on, compression to 4:1
    0:37 Pedal on, compression to 10:1
    1:00 pedal off

<iframe width="100%" height="166" scrolling="no" frameborder="no" src=""></iframe>

Can you hear the compressor?

Maybe I'm not used to play with compressors, but the ones I have had before -Mad Professor, Pigtronix,..- were really noticeable when on.

It's great as a limiter, I guess.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2015
  16. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

I just received mine yesterday. Quick and easy to set and I think it sounds great. It's replacing my TLC, which I really dig, but the Keeley is easier to quickly set up especially with multiple basses due to the Threshold LED.

17. Alban

Alban

Apr 8, 2004
    The Netherlands
    I bought one last month to replace my Markbass Compressore. The Compressore is a great compressor but it got muddy on some settings, and the power requirements were annoying on a small pedalboard. Very happy with the Keeley, it is indeed very transparent and I leave it on all the time on a mild setting, say 1:3 ratio. It's great to smooth out some peaks from my Silver Rose v2 fuzz.

18. Fuzzbass

Fuzzbass P5 with overdrive Gold Supporting Member

You say that like it's a bad thing. ;) It all depends on what you want from your compressor. Many of us want gentle, transparent smoothing. In fact I can hear it on your tracks (I'm listening through headphones): where it's apparent is when a note has a strong attack; the transient is smoothed. I don't own the Keeley, but suspect that if you are more aggressive with the threshold control then you will notice more overt compression, especially with higher ratios of course. LED metering is all well and good, but sometimes you have to use your ears... especially true if the meter consists of just one LED.

19. triviani

triviani

Oct 23, 2010
    I hear you. Thanks for taking some time to listen to it. The Bassist surprised me, I didn't expect it to be as "unnoticeable" as it is. I'll give it a few weeks to try it with the full setup.

Fuzzbass likes this.
  20. Hi,

I listened and barely heard the compressor. If you hadn't told me I would've missed it. I agree with Fuzzbass, try to lower the threshold alot until you really hear a noticable compression (i.e. too much), then dial it back up to where you like it.
    I always think it's easier to dial in compressors by setting it too aggressive and then dial it back. That way you will easily hear the effect of the compressor before relaxing it, making it easier to understand the impact of the compressor.

For the record, I've never tried the Keeley Bassist Compressor.

Good luck,
    Kalle

lowplaces, triviani and Fuzzbass like this.