Keeley mod for sparkle drive.....

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by LeftyLB70P, Aug 24, 2005.

1. LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    I recently posted about problems with the switch on my otherwise wonderful Voodoo Labs Sparkle Drive. I communicated with Voodoo Labs and they are ready to repair it with no charge but I have read a little about the Keeley mod and so I also talked to them.

They told me that switch problems are pretty common with the Sparkle and they could fix it up along with the mod (and then guarentee it as well...... I am totally impressed with them as far as their customer service, knowledge, guarentee, etc). I am just about completely convinced to bypass Voodoo Labs and sent it off to Keeley but I would like to hear from those of you who have gotten this mod, how is it different? Can you please tell me about the changes they make?

2. LeftyLB70P

May 4, 2005
    Athens, Ga.
    Well, either no one here has this mod or they just don't feel like helping so I will offer some comments on the Keely Sparkle Drive mod.

:hyper: :hyper: :bassist: :hyper: :hyper:

It is EXCELLENT!!!

Just FYI in case anyone goes looking for help. I am really pleased with what they did for me.
  3. Chrisrm

Chrisrm Bass Virtuoso Wannabe

Feb 10, 2002
    Colchester, CT
    What did they do? What does the mod entail?
  4. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Does Keeley just make it more 'bassy'?
    Sounds like Voodoo Labs admits that they use crappy switches on those pedals :meh:
  5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    I tried the Keeley mod on a sparkle drive, it was a little while ago but iirc it gave more bass but lost definition. I put it on ebay and it went for some stupid price (greater than the cost of pedal plus mod) so even if you don't like the mod you might not be out any money if you get it donw
  6. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I would be interested in what the mod is too. Since a Sparkle Drive is basically a TS with a clean blend, he may just have applied the TS mods.

The only mod I made to mine was to do the Fat Mod from AMZ. I did not go all out, I just replaced the cap with a 0.1uF.

WARNING: The Sparkle Drive has the resistor going to ground. You cannot just short out the cap as shown in the AMZ article! The article explains why.
  7. That's exactly what he does. There's quite a bit of dialog about it on his web site. Nothing specific about what the mods actually are, tho. :smug:

~ Charlie