Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeley Modded BD-2 or English Muff'n

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassist66, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Hey guys, thinking about getting a new overdrive. My brother just got a Blues Driver for his guitar the other day and I decided to try it on my bass. It sounds great....warm, crunchy overdrive; i like its tone quite a bit better than my ODB-3. Thing is, even when the tone knob is all the way to the left, I'm still not getting enough bass. I know Keeley mods them, and he claims they're good for bass. I wasn't really sure how good the bass comes through after the mod. On the other hand, I can, for slightly more, get an English Muff'n. I love my Big Muff Pi fuzz, nice and warm, and was wondering if the Muff'n was just as good for an OD. I know it has a three band EQ, so I suppose it would be alot easier to keep the bass on it. Which one would you guys recommend? Also, even though I usually play slap bass straight, and slap is not usually considered super when on a tube amp (and therefore probably not the best with a tube/tube emulated OD), which pedal would slap sound better on? Hope you guys can help.

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    For one, I don't have experience with a Blues Driver, Keeley modded or not, but I spent about a week and a half with an English Muff'n and in my opinion, it's just about THE best overdrive out there, regardless of price. It retains the bass very well (better than your typical Big Muff, WITHOUT using the onboard EQ either) I managed to leave the EQ set flat and didn't lose ANY bass.

However, I don't think either would sound very good slapped.

3. I have played with a keeley moded blues driver quite a bit. I love the sound and it retains the lows quite well. I have played one side to side with a unmoded blues driver,and the moded version sounds the same but with more low end. As for the english muffin I cannot comment as I have not played one. Good luck.
    You could always get both :)