1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeley-Modded RAT no longer sold

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Ryan Mohr, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    I saw a thread from yesterday about this on the gear page. Here's a quote from the site - "BREAKING 2008 NEWS! We are no longer selling new RAT pedals because of the horrible quality that we see them in. They are now made in China, and the workmanship is the worst I've ever seen. We would have to redo/replace so many things that the cost would increase by at least $45. We are working on a way to have you look at your serial number to determine if yours is one we can work on (when they were built much better). So, for the time being... No New Rat Pedals From Keeley. We are looking at ways of coming up with our own RAT style pedal. I am very excited about that! Thanks for your understanding, players!"

I was considering buying a Turbo RAT, but I guess not anymore.

2. RedCoatMonster

RedCoatMonster

Aug 14, 2007
    Thomas, OK
    Bummer.
    Im looking forward to them making their own pedal now though that might be cool.

3. El-Bob

El-Bob Supporting Member

Oct 22, 2006
    Hamilton, ON
    good thing i bought my turbo rat when i did :meh:. is the quality really that bad now?

4. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    The Keeley Modded Rat is a big disappointment on bass. The stock Turbo Rat is WAY better. Maybe I'll hang on to my older Turbo Rat.

5. Ryan Mohr

Ryan Mohr

Oct 23, 2007
    shouldn't the quality be the same, they are all RATs.

6. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I totally disagree. The Keeley modded Rat is amazing on bass. It's the first guitar distortion that I found usable on bass without splitting the signal. I had an 80's Rat that got stolen and I was heartbroken until I got the Keeley. Now I don't even miss it.

It's a shame that ProCo sucks so bad now. On the other hand, I think the resale value of mine just went way the heck up!

BTW, I find a huge difference in Rats, even in the same models. ProCo doesn't exactly stick to the formula. I think they started with a great model and constantly subbed out cheaper components whenever possible because they thought name recognition would carry them. I guess they were right.

7. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007

NO! NO NO NO! Absolutely not! I hope you're being sarcastic. The Keeley Rat sounds like garbage on bass. The Rat 2 sounds better, but still has so much low end loss I think it's useless unless you're trying to sound like a guitar. The Turbo Rat makes a really good bass distortion pedal and is so much better for bass than the Rat 2 and Keeley that it's ridiculous. Those are the current issue RATs. The Vintage Rats were better than the Rat 2 in my experience, but there have been variations over the years (just like the Big Muff) and I'm not familiar with the history of the pedal.

8. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    I would like to hear soundclips of that. Forgive me for not believing you in the meantime.

9. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    +1

The 80's ones are good, but not so much with the Keeley.

10. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    I can't post anything because all my songs with Rat on them have dirty lyrics. But hey, I like it, and that's all that really matters in Mancini World anyway.

11. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
    What else have you tried? And what mode do you use the Keeley in? As I recall it sounded better on bass and guitar in the stock mode. I honestly think a stock Rat 2 sounds better than the Keeley.

12. Has anyone here tried out the Ratsputin??

Its a Modded Rat II by vodkamods. I own one and absolutely love it! I've never tried a keeley modded rat though. I would love to compare the 2.
    The Ratsputin can be found here: http://www.vodkamods.com/main.html

13. Rob Mancini

Rob Mancini Guest

Feb 26, 2008
    Depends on what year you get the stock Rat, and it also depends on your frame of reference. It's better to get an 80's model. I wouldn't pay $10 for a new one. I bought my current Rat in 2005, and the Keeley mod made it sound just like the 80's Rat that got stolen. Maybe that's not your sound, I guess.

14. assboglin

assboglin Banned

Jul 13, 2007
  15. I disbelieve this,...

I bought a brand new TURBO RAT... so im pretty sure would be at least 07/08? anyways it had HAND MADE IN USA all over it... it would be bulk false advertising if it was actually made in china??? :confused:

dont really care, stock TURBO RAT is NUTS,... actually boosts my low B and E more than it does the A, D and G depending on how I use the filter... I love it :)

16. Depending on where you bought it, it could have been sitting on a shelf for awhile. I once bought a "brand new" Les Paul that was over three years old.

17. jaebee

jaebee

Mar 16, 2007
    while stock rat 2's may not be good for bass, I have a modded one that is great. only distortion I need.

just felt like I had to defend the modded rat 2

18. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    just bought myself a RAT 2 here in london yesterday, dont know how old it is because I dont know where I can check the serial no, but I must admit I love the sound of it!
    I can get a pretty good bass response unless I go way overboard with the distortion, so for the price (50£ for a new one) I have to say it beats the Big muff for me, and the tonebender (although its a different thing completely and beautiful in its own right) considering the price difference!
    I do have to get it modded tho, not for the sound, but I have to get a blue LED in, I just hear it sounds better that way!:D

19. sunbeast

sunbeast Supporting Member

Jul 19, 2006
    Los Angeles, CA
    In my experience, this is completely dependant on bass and amp setup- the Keeley Rat in "Mighty Mouse" mode was my absolute favorite bass distortion/drive with my old all-maple Carvin bass through an SVT Classic (the pedal DID NOT sound good through any solid-state amp I tried it through- the "Mighty Mouse" mode is almost more of a gritty boost mode than a full on distortion). I think this was becasue the Carvin had very little deep fundamental frequencies on its own and I got most of the lows from bass boost on the amp- so the lows were being added after the Rat pedal. I know a local bass player that plays a stock Fender P through one and gets a very unique and heavy doomy bass tone- again, hes getting most of the lows from his amps and it is the pairing of the P-bass midrange with the Rat that sounds so amazing (he also leaves the Rat on all the time, so he doesn't have to match it to a clean tone in any way). When I played my G&L L-2500 through the SVT, I usually kept the bass on the amp flat as the bass had such an enormous low end- with this setup, the Rat sounded very weak on the low end. So it really depends on your setup...almost every drive or distortion pedal rolls off some lows, so its best to not depend as much on lows that are being fed into the pedal and instead on boosting lows after the pedal (one reason that basses with active EQs don't pair quite as nicely with drive/ distortion pedals...). Keeley doesn't advertise his Rat as being a bass distortion anyway- it just does work really well for that in some circumstances.

I also found the "stock Rat" mode on the Keeley to be very close in sound to my old early 80s Rat...and I personally find the Turbo Rat to be too over the top for my tastes...I no longer own any Rat or Rat derivative, but I felt like I should stick up for the Keeley Rat, because I think it was great for what it was supposed to be.

Karl