1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeley Synth-1

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by adamaarts, Mar 14, 2019.

1. adamaarts

adamaarts Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Beta tester Source Audio, demos/reviews of many others
    It’s early (actually late for me as I can’t sleep) so I am posting this here to get the video out on time with their release. I’ll post my thoughts and experience later on when I can have a clearer head.

Hope you enjoy!

Jeff Bonny, Bfieldy, wyrtti and 11 others like this.
  2. yaksonator

yaksonator Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2011
    Branson, MO
    Awesome! I was waiting for a bass demo!

cosmicevan likes this.
  3. This honestly looks like THE synth pedal..

4. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Ok. SO a few questions.

How is the tracking when playing faster? Does it turn into a jumbled mess?

Is the response better or worse with an active bass?

Any dipswitches internally? Or trim pots?

It looks like a pretty simplistic fuzz/filter combo but sounds really damn good.

A few things. I noticed you have the level all the way up, does it lack volume or have a volume dip?

What's the response like when you hit it with another fuzz pedal?

I have more question but that's a start. LOL.

I hate the jack placement. Personally, if I would have rather them been side jacks if the room on top was an issue. Those are super tight together and that makes using certain types of patch cables an issue. At least they look super tight together.

5. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Tracking is actually pretty good for the most part. The chaos switch actually decides of it gets tracked traditionally or some formula they made which makes it sound different, plus each wave type has its own special thing with the chaos switch (the sine wave has like slide in to the note effect built in, and with the chaos switch the other way it has some sort of Lfo wobble to it) Some of these sounds have an octave below so it can’t track low notes but some others can do a low B no problem (as seen in the video) I think the only caveat with tracking is it tends to track any noise you throw at it, like even moving your hand down the strings when not playing, etc.

I’d say it tracked best on my Sire but honestly I don’t remember it being much different with the Active Warwick. The star bass has a higher output than the sire but is passive, and had the same experience as the sire.

The manual didn’t say anything about internal switches or pots. It’s a very simplistic pedal with all the sounds baked in. Which is good or bad depending on your needs. It’s not a fully customizable synth, but a synth pedal with basically 6 presets you can blend and control the attack and filter.

As far as the level, I don’t think it had any volume dip. I tend to crank the level on things with blend and just blend it in for level, although this I was doing full wet a lot of the time. I think it’s more for if you want a subtle synth behind what you’re playing. Plus I’d say some patches are louder than others so those ones I would bring the level down in real life use even though I may not have done so in the video.

I’ve tried hitting it with octave, it sort of tracks worse but it does change the sound. I havent tried anything else ‘before’ the pedal but fuzzes and filters after it sound really good as well. I wouldnt imagine a fuzz going into it would be ideal as it’d mess with tracking and the sound would be lost anyway as the pedal is generating its own sound.

cosmicevan, jwr and lesclaypoolsob like this.
  6. vincent69

vincent69 Supporting Member

Dec 15, 2012
    Lausanne, Switzerland
    Sounds awesome !! Thanks for posting this video !!

I just received email from Keeley and didn't look any further because I didn't want a GAS attack.

But now...

adamaarts and jwr like this.
  7. jwr

jwr

Jun 28, 2010
    Overland Park, KS
    Awesome responses! Thanks for taking the time to respond. I’ve been really curious about this one and I love the sound. Think I’ll bite the bullet and grab one!

adamaarts likes this.
  8. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    Interested to hear opinions from those with other synth pedal experience. Hows this stack up against the crowd in ease of use, feature set, overall sound?

9. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    I will say this: an expression pedal makes this pedal 10x more fun. I’m tempted to try and utilize the LS-2 splittting the signal to this and a Moog 101 which would have its filter output go to the exp of the Keeley. Not even sure it would work but would be cool to try

lesclaypoolsob likes this.
  10. FilterFunk

FilterFunk Everything is on the ONE! Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2010
    I'd love to run my non-programmable (or difficult to program) MIDI rack synth modules through one of these to make simple adjustments.

adamaarts likes this.
  11. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    Keeley asked for more.....

12. Bfieldy

Bfieldy

Sep 29, 2018
    I was aware of this pedal but really didn't give it much consideration for bass use. However....those demos sound REALLY good. I'm impressed. Well done.

theunknowndude and adamaarts like this.
  13. Dang I’m very impressed too...

adamaarts likes this.
  14. Just curious comparing this to the dirty robot, can it filter sweep without an expression pedal? Or is it set to a determined filter amount unless you move the knob / use expression?

15. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    It will only sweep/move via expression pedal or physically moving the knob

theunknowndude likes this.
  16. Wfrance3

Wfrance3 Supporting Member

May 29, 2014
    Tulsa, OK
    It's cool as smell, but of no actual use to me currently. Why do I want one?...

17. adamaarts

Apr 19, 2001
    Corona, CA
    I don’t have any projects currently that would ‘require’ it, but I think it’s more of a fun pedal. I don’t actually usually have much news for synth sounds in general, but when I do it’ll be nice to not have to bust out the bass station II and relearn keys.

Wfrance3 and theunknowndude like this.
  18. Yeah I’m much better at bass... tried to record something in my daw with a keyboard recently and it was horribly out of time... whoops!

19. Cunkybunkfarts

Cunkybunkfarts

Jan 29, 2019
    I've been looking for a new synth pedal to get for a while now. I used to own the Markbass SS, which was pretty great, although it got to be pretty glitchy and eventually completely died on me. The Future Impact seems to be the best one, but I don't feel like spending that money. I was assuming the Synth 1 would only be good for guitar, like the Enzo (I know some bassists use it but I haven't been impressed by any bass demos I've seen), so I was pretty close to getting an EHX Monosynth. Honestly though, this and a few of the other bass demos on YT have pretty much changed my mind. This one seems to sound great on bass and has a simple enough setup with big enough knobs that you can manipulate it on the fly with your feet, which is what I'm all about these days.

Bfieldy and IronLung1986 like this.
  20. cosmicevan

cosmicevan bleep bloop Supporting Member

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    It takes an expression pedal much better idea than twisting knobs w your feet.