Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keep a wood finish bass looking new?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by (hed)-less, Mar 31, 2002.

1. hi. im used to playing basses with glossy paint jobs on them and so i didnt feel the need to polish or wax them or anything. now ive got a bass with a natural wood finish on it and it looks beautiful but ive noticed its getting lots of tiny scratches on it from were id been playing with a plec or just rubbing against jewlerry or something. ive tried to be extra careful with it as i want to preserve its looks but i was wondering if theres something else i could be doing for it.

is there any kind of polish or wax or something along those lines i could get for it that i should be using? does anyone else experience these problems? do you bother with polish type products? could i use ordinary furniture polish???

thanks for any help

AnT

2. bassist286

bassist286

Nov 22, 2001
    rhode island
    i highly recomend useing warwicks enubia wax, it's made for natural instruments finished with only tounge oil. you just rub it in and wait a minuet or so and then wipe it off,works like a charm. i do it to my warwick thumb every 2-3 weeks. DO NOT USE FERNATURE POLISH, there finished differently then instruments.
    -chris

3. hujo

hujo

Apr 18, 2001
    Stockholm, Sweden
    It depends on what kind of finish you have. If it's finished in tung oil, great. Just sand and put more on. Go to the setup forum, there are lots of threads about that there for more and better information. If it's lacquered, you might be able to buff the finish. Once again, there are lots of threads about this in the setup forum, i think. Good luck!