1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep blowing fuses on amp!!!HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by loveandbass, Jul 21, 2007.

1. I have a hartke kickback 12 that I am trying to sell. I needed to replace 3 100k EQ pots and I did that. Now, every time I turn the amp on I get a loud bzz for about 5 seconds and then the fuse blows. I am using the correctly rated fuse(4a/250v) and I cant figure out where the problem lies. Please help me here!

Thanks
    Eric

2. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    I don't know much about these sorts of things, but are you using a slo-blow fuse?

Joe

3. If the last repair was the EQ, before the buzz and blown fuse, try bypassing the EQ if possible and recheck.

4. I am using slow blow fuses. I tried the regular fast fuses and they blow instantly. The slow blows go in about 5 secs.

I noticed there is a little bit of brown on the solder points for the parts connected to the heat sink. I am wondering if I burnt something out in the process.
    :confused:

5. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    That's flux residue. You're in over your head. Take it to a repair shop.

6. Is there any salvaging this thing? I know its not worthmore than 2 bills now and I dont want to spend that much to fix it.

7. bump for the day crew...help please!

8. If the fuse wasn't blowing before your EQ repairs, then either it's a nasty coincidence or you made a connection that isn't supposed to be there, and as a result, too much current is flowing.

Check all around the area you repaired for any solder tracks that are damaged or shorted together. For that matter, check the whole thing for that.

Oh, and remember to do that while it is unplugged!:eek:

9. Bob Lee (QSC)

Bob Lee (QSC) In case you missed it, I work for QSC Audio! Commercial User

Jul 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa, Calif.
    Technical Communications Developer, QSC Audio
    Bring it to a repair shop.

10. Hi, Eric.

IMO You have two choices.

1. Follow the schematics and determine what went wrong, and correct it as Cristo stated. Or power it with a variac and measure the voltage and the current draw in various points to determine the cause of the short that blows the fuses.

2. Sell the amp as a DIY project and be honest about it.

You might also post a shi*load of large, in focus pics of the amps wiring and PCB(s) and hope that someone spots the short/miswiring.

IMO taking it to a tech isn't a feasible option as it will probably set You back far more than the amp is worth.

Just my 0.02€
    Sam

11. thanks t bird..I appreciate it. I cant seem to find the schematics for it anywhere.

I will try powering it and troubleshooting it though because I could always learn something in the process.