1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep dynamics with drive/disto

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Asr4, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Asr4

Asr4

Oct 30, 2017
    Hello to all (all around the world of bass/upright)…

I face a big deal. I would like to add drive/disto to the sound of my bass, while playing, but as it saturates (peak) the signal, it seems impossible to play louder, and keep dynamics of play.

Is it possible to have something that looks like a disto, but play louder at some moments and softer at other, without using an expression/volume pedal ?

2. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Yup; one with a blend knob might do what you're asking. If you really like your distortion pedal, a simple parallel blender can serve this purpose (e.g., Xotic X-blender, OneControl Mosquite/Mosquito).

3. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    Southern New England
    If you blend some of your dry signal, you'll keep the integrity of your dynamics intact but still get the sound and feel of the distortion/ fuzz/ OD that you want.
    Some pedals come with their own blend knob, ala this one:
    upload_2018-7-2_14-41-31.png

or you can get a blend/ mix pedal to add as much or little variation as you want/ need. In the picture below, you can see that I have 5 flavors of OD/ fuzz/ distortion all in the effects loop of my Mix Blender. I can use any one I need for a particular song and only have one injection point into my chain BUT, more importantly, I can mix some of my dry bass signal (about 50/50 mix) in with the dirty signal and keep my note definition, attack, decay, muting dynamics, etc. all intact, audible and it allows me to tweak how I sit in the mix with much more accuracy and control :thumbsup:
    upload_2018-7-2_14-44-12.png

Ricky Caboverde and bobomatic like this.
  4. Asr4

Asr4

Oct 30, 2017
    Thanks ! I'll try that.
    Is that the way (a blender) John Buttler added overdrive thru a volume pedal on his guitar sound ?

5. Kriegs

Kriegs Peace

Feb 14, 2018
    Southern New England
    I can't answer that, as I've not heard any of his stuff until just a moment ago :D If you could provide a link to a specific song, one of us will be able to help you figure out how to replicate the sound/ tone :thumbsup:

6. Karlson541

Karlson541 Inactive

Jun 9, 2018
    I think it will depend on how much drive you want on your signal, there's a lot of pedals out there capable of producing a light overdrive that will act dynamically to your play as in sounding quieter and less overdriven when you play softer and get gradually louder and more overdriven as you play harder.
    Not sure if that is what you are looking for though.

Ricky Caboverde likes this.
  7. Ricky Caboverde

Ricky Caboverde Supporting Member

Feb 26, 2004
    Miami, FL
    After reading it again, it seems that there are TWO issues in your initial post. The blender will address the first issue; the second is different.

It seems to me that you just want a touch sensitive drive. In this case, it isn't so much the blend knob that is important as much as the drive circuit, itself. Some dirt pedals are more touch sensitive than others, and as @Karlson541 noted, will saturate more the harder you play. While I have not heard John Butler, I would bet that all he is doing is boosting (via volume pedal) some drive pedal in his chain. It's quite common; and some boost pedals are "dirty" and able to offer you more drive on top of overdriving whatever dirt pedal is down the chain. A booster or volume pedal will afford more consistent saturation rather than merely relying on your playing dynamics. I don't use one though; I just play harder when I want more drive.

A really great touch-sensitive drive pedal, which does NOT have a blend knob, is the Creation Audio Labs Grizzly (that's my only dirt pedal). And there are several available which DO have a blend knob; one really versatile and affordable of these is the Source Audio Aftershock.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2018
  8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 2, 2020