1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep Harmony H22 or Guild Starfire II?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by sannella, Nov 29, 2018.

1. sannella

sannella

Oct 13, 2005
    I’m a guitarist who occasionally plays bass—sometimes live, and more often when I’m recording. I’ve had had an old Harmony H22 for a several years, and I love its big, woody sound. It’s not the sound I’d want on every track, but it’s an instrument that never fails to put a smile on my face.

Last week I picked up a 1967 Guild Starfire II for $200. The finish is rough (it looks like someone sanded it with 60 grit sandpaper before coating it with varnish), but the electronics, tuners, etc. are all original and in good condition—though it does need bridge saddles. The binding is in great shape, and the instrument is structurally sound. If I keep it, I’ll have it refinished--selling the H22 to fund the work.

So, the question is this: Which bass would you keep and why? Thanks for your opinions.

2. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    I don't know about the Harmony but I had a 1967 Starfire II in the early 70's . I paid $250 in 1973 and it was a steal then , absolutely wonderful bass . I was coming from a Gibson EB3 that I couldn't get a decent sound for anything . The single coil Hagstrom pickups on those Guilds had wonderful full tone , I could suddenly hear what I was playing with my band . All I know is that they were really great basses and I wouldn't have got rid of mine if I hadn't got the urge to get a Ric 4001 for that Chris Squire tone .

3. Opinions here will vary wildly.
    Keep both for 1 year, decide for yourself after recording & gigging them. No one will know (or care) about the poor refin from 20ft away in the audience.

Refin the Starfire when you save up some spare cash and certain you want to keep it... or if you sell it, sell as-is for the next owner to put their love & care into it & choose their own colour.

4. Mustang Surly

Mustang Surly

Jul 10, 2013
    My avatar may hint at my opinion...

5. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    El paso, TX
    Keep the Star fire , of course.

6. Bflat

Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    I have both.....I would keep them both, sell something else or play it like it is after you fix the bridge...they are both great basses!!!

7. Thornton Davis

Thornton Davis

Dec 11, 1999
    Toronto
    Both are great basses, but FWIW I regret having sold my H-22 and to replace it nowadays I just can't justify the cost of one. As Bflat mentioned above, keep them both if you can.

TD