Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keep hope alive, Johnny boy!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Against Will, Jun 16, 2004.

1. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    The First Family of Rock is facing another trial.

---------------------------------------------------------

Former Ramones guitarist Johnny Ramone is currently in a Los Angeles hospital battling prostate cancer. Speaking with Rolling Stone, Ramones drummer Marky Ramone stated, "Johnny's been a champ in confronting this, but at this point I think the chances are slim." He continued, "John never smoked cigarettes, he wasn't a heavy drinker and he was always into his health." Unbeknownst to the world at large, Johnny Ramone, whose birth name is John Cummings, was diagnosed with the disease four years ago, and has since undergone extensive chemotherapy.

Marky explained his motivations for revealing Johnny's fight with cancer now: "I've been getting so much email from people and from papers and magazines wanting to know what was up I had to take it upon myself to say something, because eventually John won't be in any condition to say or do anything." He went on to say that the cancer has already begun to spread to other parts of the body. According to Marky, however, Johnny, who is 55 years old, is remaining positive. "He was talking about the positive things the Ramones accomplished: getting inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, how our music is being accepted at this point. It put a smile on his face. Knowing John, he'll fight this horrible disease to the end. Everybody is wishing the best and hoping the best. We'll stand by him."

The Ramones are widely credited as among the forefathers of American punk rock, and frankly, they've influenced more musicians than we've got time to talk about. This comes as an especially difficult blow to fans as Joey Ramone (born Jeffrey Hyman) died from lymphatic cancer in 2001, and bassist Dee Dee Ramone (born Douglas Colvin) died in 2002 from an overdose of heroin-- an addiction he'd battled for more than 20 years.

When the Ramones broke up in 1996, Johnny Ramone virtually retired from music, reportedly even going as far as to sell all of his guitars and amps. Although the Ramones' other members, including Dee Dee, Joey, late-era bassist C.J., and Marky (who is currently the drummer for the Misfits) went on to release solo albums and become involved with other musical projects, Johnny was content to stay home and watch baseball. In a 2001 interview with Rolling Stone, Johnny expressed his desire to never have to deal with the rigors of touring: "I didn't want to go back on tour under any circumstances. If they could have come up with an offer that I couldn't refuse for one week of jobs, somewhere in the world, I would have thought about it." We at Pitchfork would like to take this opportunity to send our best wishes to Johnny and his family.

Source: pitchforkmedia.com

Good luck Johnny.
    :(

2. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    That's a shame. I'm not a huge fan of punk, but I always kinda dug the Ramones.

3. moonbagel91

moonbagel91

May 24, 2004
    the ramones wern't punk, now don't get me wrong i LOVE the ramones, but they arn't punk. their rock n' roll. they were just (and still are) a very big influance in the punk scene. they were also apart of the whole CBGB omfug thing. they really had a feel that was punk about them, with the whole attidue and everything, but as a person who listens to mainly punk i can tell you they were not punk.it was like they were apart of the punk scene because their music was so loved and excepted in the new york punk scene, but they just weren't really writting punk music. it was all rock n' roll. ****in' good rock n' roll to be exact. i still love them,i really love them. my ramones shirt in my favorite **** that i own...
    We already lost Dee Dee and Joey...and know were losing Johnny. In The Clash(who started out as punk and went on to be a kinda expermintal band) we lost Joe Strummer, and Topper Headon isn't looking to good. We lost Sid Vicious in back in 1979. And we lost Johnny Thunders way, way back a long time ago.Who's next? We lost so many greats who is gonna go now? Is it gonna be Iggy Pop, or John Lydon,or Henery Rollins, or Jello Biafra? It seems like their all going so quickly. And the new punk scene is all really a bunch of indie and emo and pop bands labeling themselves punk.
    ...but as my theroy goes.....when the poser population goes up, so does the real punk population.

--------------------------------------------------------

4. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    I'm not sure I understand how they're not punk. Seems to me they had the mindset, but just weren't offensive about it like the Sex Pistols or the NY Dolls or the Stooges.

5. Yogi Bear

Yogi Bear Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2000
    Colorado

Not to hijack the thread, but I agree.

The Ramones were every bit as much punk as the Dead Boys, NY Dolls, Iggy and the Stooges, The MC5, the Dammed, etc. etc...

To stay on topic I wish all the best to Johnny

6. Best of wishes and best of Luck Johnny.

The Ramones were and are more punk than anyone here.

They were punk before punk was punk.

7. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    get well soon johnny :(

8. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    Discussions on what is and isn't punk are hereby banned from this thread.

Free-thinking, independent, good music with power and depth=punk rock, which is a good enough explanation to anyone.

Chuck Berry and the Who don't sound much alike at all, that doesn't make either one of them less Rock and Roll.

So no more discussion on what is and isn't punk, if you just can't resist being a snotty elitist/genre nazi, go resucitate the "Favorite Punk Bands" thread, or better yet, go bother the kids at the Warped Tour forum.

9. Bass Tranquil

Bass Tranquil

Nov 16, 2003
    As soon as I heard he got checked into the hospital sometime in the past week I put a Ramones patch on the middle of my gigbag. That is their flag at half staff.

Funny though, his wife said told MTV that he's fine.

Now where is this Warped Tour forum? I need to go beat people up to get some free tickets. My girlfriend's little sister wants to go.

10. Eyescream

Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    Gee. Sorry mom. :rolleyes:

11. funny, i always considered the Ramones just Buddy Holly played really fast with distortion. IMO it doesn't really matter what you call it.

but, this is sad news and it sounds like he probably doesn't have much time.

I always wonder if musicians like him can really understand the impact they've had on people.

12. heard from a friend that "one them is dying" when he saw my ramones teehsirt, so when I got home I looked it up on the 'net.

Johnny is battling cancer, never knew this until now!

keep on rockin Johnny boy, hope ya pull through.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/music/3811701.stm
    :( :)