Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keep in mind, I'm just venting...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Hategear, Jan 12, 2003.

1. Hategear

Hategear Workin' hard at hardly workin'.

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    A local music store is working in conjunction with our local hard rock radio station, to put together a compilation CD of area bands' original music. My problem with this, is that you have to submit a "professionally" recorded, three song demo and promo packet. I can already predict who's gonna be on this CD, promoting local music: The same ten bands I see in the paper every week -- bands with three CDs to their credit already. I suppose it wouldn't be very lucrative to promote a disc featuring dudes you never heard of before, but maybe said dudes are writing some killer tunes, but don't have the means to get 'em out there yet. Huh?

I experienced a similar sitch about a year ago, with a different radio station that promoted local music by featuring them on what they called their Home Grown radio program (Sunday nights for an hour, starting at 11 PM). It was a great idea, but it always featured the same five bands every week. We were told that if we wanted to get on the show, we had to submit a more professional recording. "Hello! We don't have the money to do anything more professional! Maybe if you played our stuff, people would like it and come to our shows, allowing us to spend more money on a demo and then we wouldn't need you to help us!"

Thoughts?

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    well, my first thought is that this is music related, so off to misc it will go, as soon as i'm done ;)

seriously, though, it doesn't have to take a huge amount of money to make something that sounds decent, and you have to put yourself in the position of the guys at the station - it's hard enough to get folks to support local/ unsigned acts who have all their i's dotted and t's crossed (professionally recorded demo, etc.) putting something on there that sounds like it was recorded with a boom box isn't going to help the local scene at all, regardless of the quality of the song.

the recording/mix is a conduit to the song, if it's not properly or decently constructed, the song isn't going to come through.

it's like showing up to a job interview in a ratty pair of jeans and a t-shirt. in all likelihood, you're not going to get the job.

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You're right JT, but sometimes I think it depends on the station/DJ too. 99X used to play our recorded roughs because they were fans of ours, but I don't think they'd have played another band's roughs whom they'd never heard of.

4. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I agree 100%, but...

How about listening to the music versus the recording? If a band (or an individual) can come up with something decent and the powers-that-be choose to include it on their recording, they could give the band (or individual) a set amount of time to re-record it for their compilation. Right?

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Just for grins, which bands are they?

6. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I would say you're gonna hear some Seven Feet Tall, some Myopic Son, maybe some American Standard (or whatever their name is now), maybe some Lead, some Profane, Slow Cut and that party band whose name eludes me -- the one with the ugly chick singer...

7. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Oh, man, what was the name of that local "big" band we talked about a long time ago? I remembered I played with their guitarist and offended him when I didn't know who he was. :D I can't think of their name for the life of me...

8. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    uh, yeah, and pixies are going to fly outta my butt. ;)

seriously, that would be wonderful if things worked that way, but they don't. what you're suggesting is that the powers that be foot the bill for the band's recording. what motivation would they have to do that?

9. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    I didn't say that at all, JT. What I said was, let these musicians submit their music, whether it be professionally recorded, or recorded at home on a Radio Shack tape recorder. The judges would listen to the songs and say, "This one is good. Let's use this one." They would then call that musician and say, "Hey, we really liked your song and would like to use it on our compilation. However, we will need you to re-record it, so that it sounds as professional as possible and we'll need you to provide us with some info about you and/or your band. You have three weeks to do so, otherwise, we'll go with so-and-so's song instead of yours."

That's not so hard, is it?

;) ;)

The name of that band is/was Borealis, SD.

EDIT: Not only that, but what's with having to provide them with three different songs?

10. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    No, that was the band I was in at the time, when the dude played with us. Borealis changed to Synapse though, and got a new website since I left. www.synapserocks.com They're finally getting round to gigging. :D

ANNEX! It just came to me. I figured they would be included on that comp dealie.

11. I understand what you're saying here JT and you are right that a band likely wouldn't be able to meet the standards or time frame for the pressing if it was done this way. But I think you could also look at it as the radio station asking the bands to "foot the bill" for a recording/compilation that they won't see a dime from. The radio station will sell the CD with the professionally done tracks and essentially be nothing more than a middle man that orders the CD pressing. If the bands DO get something from the sales, I would think that would be rare. After all, it's a promo for the station prolly more than the bands. That's the real reason they want pro level recordings - to use them straight away.

12. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hey Hategear, I know exactly where you are coming from. My scene definatley has a "click" and if you're not part of that click you aren't taken seriously. I see a lot of local bands who totally hype themselves up, get critical acclaim but aren't that good, while some are down right lousy.

I use to have a huge chip on my shoulder about it. Now, I just concentrate on playing music and having fun. I learned to not let what other bands and their businesses worry me.

13. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Sometimes it is how the music is engineered. The DJ's don't pick it. It has to meet merely a technical standard so the Radio station doesn't have to take the time assembling a show of cassettes, low quality cd's or vinyl.

The want it easy. We're still talking about studio time.

So the best music rarely wins. It's all about what's easiest for the radio station.

14. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    ...it's actually pretty easy and cheap to make your own professional-sounding cds. A computer with a burner (burners are a lot cheaper these days), a recording program (there are free ones out there that allow for multiple overdubs), and an eq box with multiple ins and out for the band to line out to are pretty much all you need. Much easier to deal with and sounds much better than tape recordings and 4-tracks.

15. Hategear

Apr 6, 2001
    Appleton, Swissconsin
    Yeah, I see their name a lot in the paper as well, but their singer just quit and now performs under his name, with a no-name band.

I appreciate and respect all of your responses and opinions, gang. When the compilation comes out, I will update this with the names of the bands that were chosen.