1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep me from NBD!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Diver, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Diver

Diver

Feb 14, 2020
    Well, the day has come, I am GAS'ing for my first 5 strings bass after 25 years of playing 4 strings, but it is partially due to my irrational attraction for this model and the pandemic giving me excuses to acquire more bass... I read mixed reviews of all sorts online on this model but I can score a good price on this bass (50% of original price), however I cannot pick it up after this week end.

I will need to get rid of another bass if I get this one, but I could also just get rid of a bass period, as my wife says...
    I know it is a lot to ask from TBers, but please throw some rationales as to why I shouldn't get this bass, especially if you are familiar with it, and especially if carrots are involved.. much appreciated!

My arguments for getting it? It is a SR805 , with fan frets from 2010 era I believe. I plan to use it primarily as a metal / punk rock / maybe funk bass, which it has the perfect looks for. I am looking at a bit more tension on the B string than regular 5 strings, which I hope the fan fret design will help with, not concerned about switching to fan frets. Also, it is not a Dingwall... meaning that I can afford this Ibby.

The only con I see is that it is not a Dingwall...help me already!
    d835eb56805f4f2b9beb79ab8472be66.jpg

Dabndug, smogg, wintremute and 8 others like this.
  2. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    Check the scale length of the fan. Really no better than just getting a 35" scale bass.

Does that help?

3. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Ok, I'll try to help you out. Ibanez 5 strings have pretty narrow string spacing. If you've been on 4 bangers that long, it may at best take some getting used to, at worst be a feel you just can't get into.

MonetBass and Diver like this.
  4. RyanOh

RyanOh Gold Supporting Member

Forget the fantastical facade of fanned frets, they are for the feeble fingered.

ErikP.Bass, Roger W, bigjames and 8 others like this.
  5. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Get upstairs and start woodshedding with the bass you have

Bleecker, Diver, RyanOh and 5 others like this.
  6. wvbass

wvbass Supporting Member

Mar 1, 2004
    West Virginia
    I would say you shot an f'ing hole in his NBD plans, lol. Fine wordplay there.

7. thabassmon

thabassmon

Sep 26, 2013
    New Zealand
    I would just get it and rock it, I think it has 35.5 inch low B. I played the newer red fan fret SRMS806 and it was cool, and it did seem clearer throughout the instrument.

Oh, you want to be talked out of it, okay.
    Don't buy that bass guitar, it clearly doesn't have enough strings.

8. I never had trouble with 34” B strings. The FF hype will burn itself out.

dbsfgyd1, Diver, bigjames and 2 others like this.
  9. Diver

Diver

Feb 14, 2020
    More like a F-hole lol

10. Diver

Diver

Feb 14, 2020
    I hear you, I am not.really.getting it for the FF. I just really want a 5 string. I was gonna go for a Cort B5 used but found this one for cheaper, which I thought had a better value, looking at the hardware

11. godofthunder59

godofthunder59 God of Thunder and Rock and Roll Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2006
    Rochester NY USA
    Endorsing Cataldo Basses, Whirlwind products, Thunderbucker pickups
    Life is short, buy the bass.

12. bbh

bbh Supporting Member

Sep 27, 2011
    I have FF troubles above the 12th fret as everything becomes inverted . Other than that, fanned fret is great because the strings all have the same tonality or close to it

Diver likes this.
  13. Relsom

Relsom

Nov 23, 2013
    The Old Dominion
    It's only money.

...you're welcome.

14. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    Get yourself a G&L Tribute L2500, you won't be disappointed

dabbler, BadJazz, Diver and 1 other person like this.
  15. sonojono

sonojono Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2013
    California
    I’ve owned that specific line of Ibanez ff. It’s a 34” scale bass, not 35”. I’ve done many genres with that bass even in studio work, it’s phenomenal but the pickups are a bit lackluster and can do better with Nordstrands which a lot of people did back then (users also ripped out the preamp for a Darkglass pre which adds more money to the bass you’re throwing in it).

I saw no point in upgrading pickups at the time (when I had no money) so I eventually sold it for a Spector bass (and so forth). Buy with caution. Enjoy your new toy if you can.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2020
    Diver and mikewalker like this.
  16. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    Does it do something that you need, that your other basses can’t do? If the answer is yes, get it, and lose one of the others. If the answer is no, it’s just GAS. Summon up your willpower and move on.

Diver and bbh like this.
  17. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    I think it is wourth that. The only things You could do is to check it out before this affair and try to reserve it for You - only, by giving in some price %. This is a good bass and if it is currently for a good price You can loose it fast.

Diver likes this.
  18. Lowbrow

Lowbrow Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2008
    Pittsburgh PA!
    I don't like it, so you shouldn't buy it.
    Helpful?

Rezdog, Diver and mikewalker like this.
  19. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    It has no tort, and may not be the best bass for metal...

mikewalker likes this.
  20. Bassdirty

Bassdirty

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Looks awesome, and I think you should get it.
    OOPs, I guess that doesn't help much.
    It does have the narrow spacing, as mentioned, which I love, and some hate. So that's about it.

T$

ruju likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

May 16, 2021