1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep MIA Jazz V or Get my 55-02 back?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dr. Cheese, Mar 29, 2006.

1. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I swapped my 55-02 and another bass for a MIA Fender V today. The Fender is great, it has a nice neck, tone for days, harmonics really ring out. It is also very light and it really nails the jazz tone to my ears. That said, i miss my 55-02 a bit, even though i had it set like a jazz 90% of the time. Should i keep the MIA Jazz V or maybe return it and get my 55-02 back and a MIM Jazz V. I know the MIM is not nearly as sweet, but it gets a decent jazz sound and i would have my 55-02 back.

2. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Get the 55-02 back! I had a 55-02 for 6 months, traded it off and now I am trying to get one!

3. If your heart is content with the 55-02, by all means get it back if it is within your good fortune!

Seriously... pursue what makes you happy, no one else is a better judge of that than you.

4. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    get the Lakland back and sell me the Fender!! ( especially if it has an ash body and a maple board )

5. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Actually, the Lakland has an ash body and a maple board. The jazz is alder and pau ferro. The heart of my problem is that i can't afford two nice ($1,000+) basses. I either have one bass or if I have two, one is only so so. I would love to get my lakland back, but that MIM Jazz leaves me unmoved. Heck, the skunk stripe was not flush with the rest of the neck! Anyone who doubts the difference between MIM and MIA should look at those two Jazz Vs side by side. Anybody who plays bass would soon know which one is more expensive.

6. adrian garcia

adrian garcia In Memoriam

Apr 9, 2001
    las vegas. nevada
    Endorsing Artist: Nordy Basses, Schroeder Cabs, Gallien Krueger Amps
    been going nuts looking for an ash /maple am dlx jazz 5
    i love those thangs! no one has them! not even new!
    yeah, no comparison between the two jazzes- am dlx is the way to go, no question about it

7. Stox

Stox

Mar 18, 2005
    London UK
    I had a 55-02 - could not get on with it, got an MIA Jazz Deluxe 5 instead and would never go back. The Fender has grown on me more and more, it a tone monster and is the most responsive I've experienced to right hand position in terms of tone and feel. Its really a do all and the ONLY bass for me personally which does fingerstyle, slap and using a pick with equal aplomb.

8. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I may get the 55-02 back, but simply because it would give me the option of two basses. I find myself really digging my Fender. I absolutely love the neck, and harmonics jump out like fish in a pond! I must say that I don't have the Deluxe, I have the passive MIA FEnder Jazz. The only thing i don't like is the traditional passive
    60 cycle hum when the pickups aren't set the same, but everyone knows that is part of the deal with a traditional j-bass.:)

9. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta (Grant Park!)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Didn't they stick MIA guts in the newer MIM Deluxe J 5's?

10. fender is a classic and everyone who ones one should keep it, and ADD basses.

you will know what I'm talking about if you get rid of it.
    trust me;)

11. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The more basses I have owned, the more i have to the conclusion that within a given price range, the biggest issue is personal taste. In the $1,000-$1,500 range, Fender, Music Man, G&L, Lakland are all verysimilar in quality and performance. it really depends on what speaks to you. I have also learned that there is a real jump in quality going from the $400-$700 range to the $1,000+. Similarly $2,000+ also represents a significant step up in fit and finish. For instance those who just look at say a Lull and assume its just a 'parts bass" because it looks like a MIM Fender really need to take time to play and thoughtfully examine the instruments. If they actually use their powers of observation, they will see the difference.

12. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis

That may well be true, but the MIAs are definitely better put together.

13. cb56

cb56

Jul 2, 2000
    Central Illinois
    Last time I picked up a MIM Jazz v in a music store and played it, the neck felt alot different from my MIA Jazz V. Sounded fine, but felt different. Not sure why, but it did.
    You might want to check one out first before making up your mind.

14. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    Dang, I can't get my 55-02 back. I wanted to swap my MIA back for another bass I swapped for an MIM, but that bass was sold the very next day! Dang! This is the second time in five months that I traded, had second thoughts, and then found old bass was already sold. Is there a lesson here? I guess I need to stop swapping since I always end up missing my old bass. The flip side is that I have never traded for a bad bass and I always end up happy with what I got. I guess it's a wash.

15. Tom

Tom

Sep 7, 2005
    Davis, CA
    I've never played a 55-02 and I was wondering how its B compares to the MIA Jazz V's B. Any thoughts, Dr. Cheese?

16. Dr. Cheese

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    The B on both is very good. Fender was notorious for bad bs, but I think that has really been fixed on the American made models. I think the Lakland may have more of a piano type of ring because of that 35" scale, but the Fender sounds fine, not unlike the B on a Stingray 5.

17. Akami

Akami Four on the floor

Mar 6, 2005
    日本/Alyeska
    Sounds like you need to keep the bass your liking so much now and find a way to suck it up and also get your Lakland back home where it belongs!

In a year you won't know you spent that $1000, especially since it would only actually be half that when you consider your thinking of getting a cheaper piece that you don't even like.
    In that same year you'll definitely be aware of what basses are hanging on your wall and which ones aren't...

Do the right thing and bring that baby home!!