Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keep my 18 or replace with another 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Gabu, Feb 1, 2002.

1. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Yesterday I played at a studio because it was too late in the evening to play in my garage. They provided me with an Ampeg AVT350 w/ a matching 410 cabinet. After playing with this amp for a few hours I think that I can hear myself more clearly. I guess that is the "Throw Phenomenon" of 18" speaker.

So now I am wondering about my setup. I use a Carvin RC210 with it's matching 18" ext cab. I am guessing that I hardly hear it (my neighbors probably do though!).

I have been leaning more towards replacing the 18 with a second 210 cab to simulate a 410, but have not been able to try it out yet. If I do that, am I going to lose all of my rumble? I don't need so much bass it shakes peoples teeth out, but a little tremor here and there is appreciated.

2. pbassfreak

pbassfreak

May 2, 2001
    long beach
    i play an ampeg 4x10 with svt350 head..i think you do well to use a 15..there will still be rumble but you teeth will stay in tact..i had the same problem when i used my 18..i switched to a 15 and it was perfect fit

3. My next sub is going to be an Adire 18".

4. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    Might I suggest a Bag End Deep 1x15? :)

5. I have a suggestion. Ampeg makes a cabinet with an 18'', two 10'', two 6.5'' and a high-frequency horn. Wouldn't that be great for a full-range sound? It seems to mee like you have the best of both worlds there. Tell me if I'm wrong, I'm still learning.:D

6. Jeff Corallo

Jeff Corallo

May 30, 2000
    Thats the Ampeg PR1832HE. Its a great sounding cab but weighs a lot. Gabu, you would need a truck or van to carry it.

7. as i read on another post, an 18" is better for outside and a 15" is better for inside, a 410 sounds the best and is less muddy up close but i don't think the sound pushes through the mix as much as a 15" or 18". which sounds a little muddy up close but at the other end of the hall sounds good. thats just my opinion.

8. Gabu, I have the R600 with a carvin RL410 by itself, the R600 is too powerful for just the 410 at high volume levels, if the 18 doesn't do it for you I would go with a 15, preferably not Carvin. You can get an Ampeg BSE1x15 cab for a few dollars more and get better sound and higher volume levels than any Carvin cab. I tested my 410 against a friends BSE410 and his held up alot better at higher power. The RC210 and a good 15 cab in my opinion would be a good way to go, I guarantee you will hear yourself with a cab made by someone else.

9. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I listened to different setups.

1) R1000 with the 810 cab
    2) R1000 with the 410/18 cabs
    3) R1000 with just the 410 cab
    4) RC210 with another 210 cab

The 1st rig sounded really cool. It was very punchy and I think I might like it some time in the future... I didn't get a chance to open it up as the Carvin in Santa Ana does not have a sound room so I couldn't just blast away.

The 2nd rig sounded a lot like what I have at home which is the RC210 w/ 18 ext cab. It sounds good. Nice and full, when playing by myself. Some of our songs could definately do without the 18 though... Just a bit too bassy.

3) This sounded nice. It sounded less punchy than the 810... But still a nice full tone, enough bass for me... but not just all thud. I really like the idea of two of these and the R1000 to give me the options of using one or both.

4) This sounded similar to the 410, as I hoped it would. I think it is a good compromise to getting the R1000 and two 410s until I can afford the other option. I definately like having 10s more than the 18. It just sounds cool to me.

So, the 18 is getting sold to help me buy a 210. I will post it in the Classifieds at a reduced price for any TBers that reside in socal. I am going to try real hard not to ship this... so don't tempt me! ;)

If no one wants it I will dump it on ebay eventually. Thanks to everyone for your thoughts! :D

10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Gabu, try a 410 under your 210. You'll forget all about big speakers and, of course, you'll never go back to kinkajous.

11. I agree, just don't buy a carvin 410!

12. Cantstandsya

Cantstandsya

Jul 27, 2001
    Fontana, CA
    I live in Rancho Cucamonga.How much do you want for it?

13. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    I am PMing you. If anyone wants to check on this, you can PM me or check the classified ad here at TB. :) (Just to keep things on topic!)

14. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Keep the 18, drop the 2x10, and get an 6x10!....Well, not, probably not...Though I've heard a 6x10+18 rig, and I tell you there is just about nothing that rig couldn't do. It was THE rig...Dammit, I'm drooling again...Somebody fetch me my GAS mask...

15. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    hehe

Don't tempt me. It's easier than you know. I am eyeing a 410 also, if no one bought the 18 I could easily have an 18 with 6 10s on top. :p The RC210 supports a load of 2 ohms also so it's no prob to use em all.

16. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Gabu....you know the Darkside awaits You have a Mowhawk, already on the darkside are you...

DO IT.

17. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    There are a few more wrinkles in this fabric.

1) I can get a Carvin 115 really inexpensive. So I can compare the 15 to the 18 and see which one I like more.

2) Since it is cheap, I may not have to sell the 18... which could mean having the 18, 15, 410 and 210.

3) Holy crap! Just wait until my wifey reads that.

4) I do have a bit of an issue with the miss matched cabs. The 410 is 8 ohms and the built in 210 is 4 ohms. That gives me weird ideas like changing the drivers to a pair of 16 ohm 10s giving me a 8 ohm top... Then bridging the top and bottom for 6 10s, 4 ohms and 600 watts.

5) I don't know why I like to number everything.

6) But don't worry it's almost over.

7) If the 610 thing works out very well then I can resell the 15 and the 18 (of course offering it to TB members at a discount first)... and probably pay for the 410 completely.

8) I am done for now.

9) Thanks for sticking around.

:D

18. Gabu, interested in a used RL410? :D

19. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    Hmm... Let me PM you on that. :)

20. Gabu

Gabu

Jan 2, 2001
    Lake Elsinore, CA
    So latest news;

I think I missed the orginal Carvin 410 I was looking at. The ad was removed and my call was not returned.

I checked out a Carvin 210 last night and it was a few years old. It did not have the tweeter and was wider and shorter than the current models. Because of the possibility of having a 18 or 15 under it, I did not want it to be a different size and also because of the possibility of using the RC210 with it alone, I didn't want it any shorter... so I passed that one up too.

I am looking into a Carvin RL115 perhaps tonight or tomorrow to see if that gives me a sound I like a bit more than from my RL118. As long as it is the same general model, I will buy it whether I like it more or not, just because it's offered at a great discount.

The next thing is I am going to buy some Emminence Delta speakers and check them out over the weekend. I know that the speakers tried before were Kappas. I have spoken with MikeyD and his preference would have been the Deltas due to what he saw in the stats. So, I am going to give that a try.

And Who knows, maybe me and TJ will do a deal too!