1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

keep my current j bass neck or get a new one?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by fender_mod, Apr 10, 2006.

1. fender_mod

fender_mod

Jun 23, 2005
    i have a one piece maple allparts neck that is great because it is much thinner compared to standard jazz bass necks ive played. that being said id like to see it with black block inlays, however searches of this forum have revealed to me that having this done is very expensive because of refretting and then doing the inlays. i also read that geddy lee necks have their inlays painted on and this seems like a perfectly suitible alternative, infact i think my inlays are painted as well. what kind of process is involved in this? i guess it would start with making sencils and getting an airbrush but im ignorant as to what kind of paint specifically, i used to build model planes so i know how to use an airbrush and the different kinds of paint there are. my neck doesnt seem to have a thick, if any, finish on it but would i still need to do any sanding? id rather not get a new neck with inlays and binding because of the increased thickness, cost is not the issue with buying a new neck i just wanna keep the one i have.

2. Thats some amazing grammar and spelling. You could try warmoth, or do some actuall inlays. I assume you did a search like everyone always says to. Of course you would have then found this thread http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=114306 good luck
    the search function is your friend. Along with spellcheck.