Keep my iamp 350 or get an iamp 500?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Yamarc, Apr 7, 2004.

1. Yamarc

Yamarc Supporting Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Northville, MI
    I currently am running my Modulus VJ4 through an iamp 350 & 2 Epifani T110 UL's... I love the sound. However, I am noticing that I would like a little more volume and I have the iamp at about 12 noon on gain and volume...

Should I upgrade to a lighter, more powerful iamp 500? Will I notice that big of a difference in volume and headroom with only 150 more watts?

Are there any tonal differences between the mosfet 350 and the digital 500? If so, what are they?
  2. You probably won't pick up ahuge difference in volume. You would need to double your power to get a 3 dB gain in volume, which is considered the *minimum* difference that we percieve. A much better bet would be to get some bigger speakers. 1x10's weren't meant to fill Madison Square Garden. You could look into 1x12's - they are typically more efficient per box, and that would do more good than more power.

I can only surmise on the tone, but they do try to design everything as flat as possible (no eq of course) so the differences would be in how they have the tone controls voiced.
  3. CaptainWally

CaptainWally Supporting Member

Oct 21, 2000
    Sandy Eggo, CA
    Agreed --- amp won't matter. Needs more speaker.
  4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Ditto. I would try a T-112 under one of the T-110ULs. I have this combination (and a second T-112), and they sound wonderful together, and move a lot more air. The T-112 is even louder and has more low end that you would expect, even with the step up from a 1x10 to 1x12. But the T-110UL has better clarity and upper mid response. The two together are very nice. I would look into the cab situation first. But certainly, an upgrade to the iAMP 500 would not be a step in the wrong direction.

5. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    Crank it up! :hyper: Seriously, if the iAMP 350 is anything like the 500 you can probably go much heavier on the gain and heavier on the volume. As long as the overload light only blinks, you can crank the gain higher.