1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

keep new basses new???

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by SiReZ, Sep 27, 2009.

1. SiReZ

SiReZ

Jun 21, 2009
    i dont really mean the title . i know in that case i would never play it, but i jus bought a fender american jazz. i wanna know what i can do to keep it in the best shape ever over the years of playing

2. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
    I don't belong to a band so my basses stay in good shape on the stands but my son plays an extreme amount of guitar and wern he's not playing they are in the case. For a 19 yr old all his guitars are in good shape.

3. LaklandBass

LaklandBass

Jan 26, 2005
    IL
    Keep em in cases when not playing, condition the fretboard every so often, dont knock them over. Yup, thats about it.

4. Until it gets that first ding it is not really yours...

5. HogieWan

HogieWan

Feb 4, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    I keep all of my string instruments on wall hangers. It's not a case, but they are out of the way and don't get knocked. Plus, they are great decoration and I play more when I have easy access to them

6. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Give them to me!

7. ProfGumby

ProfGumby

Jan 15, 2007
    Michigan's U.P.
    Don't drop them, don't go and whang the headstock on cymbals, mike stands and ceilings. Keep them clean. Store them in a stable environment. Wash your hands before playing. Don't wear asshat metal wristbands or stupid belt buckles and wipe them down as soon as possible after a show. Don't leave them on stands in direct sunlight and don't take a bath or shower with them either. Beating them with hammers or running them over with an M-1 A-1 Abrahms tank is right out. Don't shoot them, stab them or fling em off a bridge. Don't hide raw steak in the body cavities. Sausages are okay, but not steak.