1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep or sell?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 3rdwind, Dec 27, 2017.

1. 3rdwind

3rdwind

Aug 8, 2011
    Have an old Gibson Explorer Bass (80's?) that the finish is starting to show cracks in. I am wondering if I should sell it while it still has collectors value, before it gets to the point where maybe it starts to loose it's value? I have seen many "husks"" on e-bay of potentially collectible Gibsons where, apparently, they got past the point of keeping whole, and were stripped out.

I have had it for years, and it plays well. Nothing else wrong with it that I am aware of except for the finish. It may have gotten dried out a little having moved to a tiny apartment with forced air heat and being a little to close to an outlet.

2. buldog5151bass

buldog5151bass Kibble, milkbones, and P Basses. And redheads.

Oct 22, 2003
    Connecticut
    Pics?

I also do not know how much "collector's value" there is in an 80s bass.

3. ajkula66

ajkula66

Sep 23, 2016
    NEPA
    It won't lose value if you keep it intact. Having said that, these basses are not worth an awful lot nowadays.

Reedt2000 likes this.
  4. 3rdwind

3rdwind

Aug 8, 2011

Thanks for the responses. It is not that bad, just cracks in the paint; not sure if they even go all the way to the wood. I am fairly certain it is worth more than the 3 bills i paid for it! At least to me it is, due to it's tone and play-ability. I should track a live auction to see what they are going for. Have seen BIN prices of close to 1K, but that doesn't mean much, unless they sell, of course!

5. Reedt2000

Reedt2000 Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    You can look at completed eBay listings with their filter tool.

It is not a crazy-expensive bass but it's worth a fair amount more than you paid for it. The cracks in the paint are probably just normal lacquer checking from age. Unless paint is flaking off and missing that tends not to have a huge effect on value.

Finish Checking | Fender Tech Talk

I think the real question is how much do you like the bass and how much will you play it. For me if I can come up with a practical application, even if it is only something I'll need once in a while, I'd keep it.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2018
    ajkula66 and EpicSoundtracks like this.