Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keep SVP-Pro or get -BSP? Urgent!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Frank Martin, May 13, 2004.

1. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Hello all!

Heh, guess what happened. After searching for long for preamps, which are very rare in my country, I was glad to find a used SVP-Pro for 130000 HuF. Bought it last Friday/Saturday. Now as I am loooking at some for sale items, searching for poweramps, I see an SVP-BSP, that was put up Sat. evening. :eek:
    I got a bit ... erm .... words elude me. :bawl:
    So I dropped the guy an e-mail to ask what it would've cost.
    the guy was very nice, he replied asap (unlike many other sellers), and said it was:

*Homer voice on*

DOH! YOU IDIOT, DOH! :bawl:

*Homer voice off*

So I am asking you guys what to do:
    - should I try to sell the SVP-Pro? I dont think they will give my money back at the shop, and if I sell it to them, they wont take it for that much...

- or -

- should I just keep it?

I think the BSP is better, though. And it only has one tube, so less worries.

So what do you guys think?
    How do these two SVPs compare?

Thanks and :bawl:

2. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Ehm, the BSP is more like solid state, but I think the distortion is much higher on that one since Billys tone has a lot of distortion too.
    I'd try to check the BSP out and then decide.

3. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    ... if you buy the BSP and can't return the pro. I can buy it off you. What's 130000 HuF???

4. jawzzz

jawzzz

May 23, 2003
    Denver Colorado
    I would keep the SVP, it is a more versatile preamp than the BSP. They are both good in thier own way, but unless you need the distortion, keep the SVP. You won't regret it.

5. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    mutant, I've never used the BSP, but I've done alot of research on ampeg preamps and I can tell you almost everyone prefers the SVP (of course there are exceptions). So I would stay with your choice unless there is something you really don't like about it. But I think what you are going through is a little 'buyers remorse' that everybody experiences after a big purchase!

6. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    Not to be a total thread thief but has anyone tested and provided a solid review of the SVP-CL? all i see is that it is supposed to sound like the Classic head, then other say no its not...etc.
    Anything concrete?

7. Schwinn

Schwinn

Dec 4, 2002
    Sarasota, FL
    I've been waiting patiently for A/B comparisons too.

8. metron

metron Fluffy does not agree

Sep 12, 2003
    Lakewood Colorado
    I have never used either but I have heard that most people prefer the SVP over the BSP. Also there is no worry about the tubes. They shouldnt need to be replaced for years.

9. mutant -- if you haven't already, go to basstasters.com to check out the bsp. i used to own one (in fact, Todd used the one i used to own!) and i loved it. its clean is much cleaner than the svp-pro -- it's very warm and articulate.

i didn't use the distortion channel much -- i didn't really need to -- but when i did, it was blended with the clean and had a very low gain, so there was just a hint of overdrive to provide cut. i was able to get some characteristic ampeg tones with it, but i was also able to go much cleaner.

and given your struggles with staying clean using the svp-pro, i highly recommend saving a few thousand Forints by trading the svp-pro back in and picking up the svp-bsp.

i'm one of the few who prefers the svp-bsp to the svp-pro. and if it makes you feel any better, Todd was converted after characterizing for basstasters.

robb.

10. Jerrold Tiers

Jerrold Tiers

Nov 14, 2003
    St Louis
    I was going to throw in the idea of the SVP-CL, but I see someone already did.

Might take a while for them to get to you over there though, it has only been out a few weeks now. I don't think I would advise holding your breath until then!

As far as concrete info on the CL... Yes it is designed like the 70's preamp. Different from the newer SVT-II, SVT-CL etc.

As to what it sounds like, you may as well check it out yourself...it's out in stores.

11. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Thanks for all the replies, guys!
    Gee, do I love TB and all my fellow bassplayers! :D

Now a few things:
    - I used to have SS amps so far, so I dont know much about tubes, so if I have less tubes, there are less problems - and you only have to replace one, not five
    - I prefer either a clean solid state or a good bit dirty or really distorted; and when I switch those on the SVP-Pro, the volume increases significantly, and the master has to be adjusted again - so this eliminates the option of on-stage switch, unless using an fx pedal...
    - the SVP-Pro didnt really like my B; howeer the BSPs low boost adds some dBs to 30Hz, too

Some more:
    - I've used basstasters to decide on the SVP... well ok I decided on the SVP because I could find it here used for "cheap"...
    - 1 US$~210 HuF, 1 €~250 HuF, the 130000 was ~620$ or 520€. Its just a bit cheaper compared to the European prices, so My bass in your, maybe finding it locally would be cheaper for you. Not to mention getting it there...

Now after all these replies, I am not so sure, but it is still pointing the BSP's way. Its cleaner. It has less tubes. Its channel-switching. Its better at lows. But its much more of a hassle to get.
    The BSPs owner knows those guys at the shop, and he said they may change it back if I beg them enough. So, concerning what I said, is it true, is it better suited for my needs?

12. go beg, plead, and cry at the dealer to convince them to allow you to return the SVP-Pro. i really think you'd be happier with the cleaner sounds of the BSP. do what it takes to get the BSP. also, it's 2,000 HuF cheaper than the SVP-Pro. that's a lot of money no matter what continent you're on.

robb.

13. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Actually 20,000... Maybe its just about $90-100, but I need all money now for my new setup...

Already tried to send them an email, but stuuupid i-dunno-which program didnt let me... will go to them tomorrow, however.

14. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    Ah, we'll see. My plans of this summer is going to Bratislava and the Balaton lake, I'll come close!

About lows, I've been told that the lows of the SVP-CL are much better. The CL has more balls then the pro.

Good luck and repost your findings please!

15. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    My findings? I found out that I had bad luck again, but it is no big surprise... :(

Been to the store where I bought it. It was in for pawn and they already gave the original owner the money, so I couldnt get the money back. So I decided to leave it there for pawn, and wait, but I can get it back anytime I want; they said that it has been there for a month before I bought it.
    The problem is that I dont have enough money right now to buy the SVP-BSP, too. I thought about selling off my old Korg multifx-pedal/processor, maybe then I'll have enough money for both... :meh: just that I dont know if anyone would buy such an old fxproc. here. This sucks real bad. :bawl:

So, you are coming to visit our good ole Lake Balaton? :cool:
    I hope there will be some left of it :rolleyes: the Balaton was very shallow last year, but they say it is now recovering.
    Are you coming for some specific event?
    There will be a free Slipknot concert in June, and there also is the "Sziget" - or Island, a week's lenght of concerts
    Tell me if you need some info or if you want to come sight-seeing in Budapest! ;)

16. If you enjoy the sand-in-a-blender tone, get the BSP.

Therefore I suggest you keep the SVP. Or get a Sansamp RBI.

17. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Whats a "sand-in-a-blender" tone?
    I've heard it (till it was on basstasters) clean and od/dist-ed with the other channel, or have it mixed, but how would you define the "sand-in-a-bender" tone?

Anyway, I think this is what I was looking for in the long run: my basic idea was to get a dirty pre, like the Ampeg SVP, and a clean pre, sort of like the GK 2001RBP, and mix the two signals or use one of them at a time, then the other. Yet, this is even better: a single unit with a clean channel, that, at the push of a button get that tubey tone, or be overdriven

18. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    So now for some good news, at last...
    - my uni grants were transferred earlier than usual, so I have enough money to buy it! :D But now I dont have money for a power amp as long as this SVP-Pro is not sold. My old setup will be sold for cab(s), but only later.
    - I'm post the 800 mark in posts :cool:

Now, lets see, I'll have 2 pres, 0 power amps... heh. At least I can make direct comparisons! :rolleyes:

19. My bass in your

My bass in your

Nov 1, 2003
    Holland
    I'l be ther very short. I'm gonnna drive thru Eastern Europe. I love it there. Probably no Budapest this time. Been there twice.

20. Frank Martin

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Ok, now I'm going to try/buy the BSP. Any last-minute warnings/talking-offs?