Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keep the 8x10 or get a 2x10 and a 1x15

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by thetaurus, Oct 16, 2002.

1. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    alright...i play in a couple loud rock bands. i have an svp pro with a qsc rmx 850 (which i'll probably upgrade eventually), and a peavey 8x10. since we aren't touring as much, the 8x10 is sitting in my living room and not at our practice space. i've been thinking about getting an avatar 1x15 with the 2x10. a bunch of guys at the haromony central bass forum said to sell the 8x10 and get the 2x10 and 1x15. i don't know...what would you guys do?

2. DarkMazda

DarkMazda

Jun 3, 2000
    NJ
    Just remember this, for shows, if you mic the amps, the PAs are gonna do all of the work.

Unless you guys aren't miked, u shouldn't have a problem with the 2x10 and 1x15.. why not just get a 4x10 and 1x15? might balance out the sound a little bit more.. just IMHO

DM

3. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    In terms of surface area, 2 10" speakers = a 15" speaker.

So by going from an 8x10 to a 2x10 and a 15, you are cutting your total speaker area in half! All else being equal (and it never is), this will cut your volume by 3 dB.

If portability is more important than volume, then I'd say go for it. Otherwise a pair of 4x10s will keep your volume levels up, and be more flexible and portable.

If the 8x10 is sitting at home, what do you use at your practice space?

4. thetaurus

thetaurus

May 28, 2002
    Muncy, PA
    that's the problem...my main band doesn't practice much, and frankly i'm thinking it's on it's way out. i'm am in two other rock bands though, and want to joing a funk/groove band on the side. if i was touring all the time with a rock band, i'd keep an 8x10, definately, but the next time probably won't be for awhile. now i'm lugging an 8x10 to 3 different places for practices. it's also not very practical to use an 8x10 for playing at home. i don't know...maybe i'm just being impulsive. i might just suck it up and get the avatar rig and keep the 8x10 and see what happens.

5. I've done outdoor festivals with nothing other than a 2x10 ontop a 1x15 and thought it to have plenty of volume and bass. Unless you need extreme volume and bass, I might suggest saving your back. I might add that a good 2x10 and 1x15 will make a big difference in sound and volume over a poorer speaker setup, and would suggest looking for a good speaker array that suits your needs. But a good 8x10 is just so big and massive in sound too!:D

6. I agree with Scutterflux - a good 1x15 plus 2x10 ought be loud enough and alot lighter. I've also done outdoor concerts with that configuratation.

Peavey speakers tend to be heavy, while the weight on the Avatars is very attractive. Their power handling specs are also impressive.

Good Luck,

Rob