1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keep The Same Strings?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by theevilplankton, Oct 9, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Restrung my new purchase on Saturday with a fresh set of Chromes.

However, my set-up didn't go to plan, and I now intend to upgrade the bridge as well as getting my luthier to give a full once-over....

Anyhow, the new strings are still on the bass in it's semi set up state. The neck relief is off, bridge wrong, etc.

Question is, would it be ok to keep with these strings after the proper set up? Or will them being on the bass when 'wrong' mess with their tension? They've not been played, and if anything, I've not stretched them either!

2. I think it will be fine, but what's wrong with the bridge and what are you replacing it with?

theevilplankton likes this.
  3. It's a Gibson 3-pointer (that's what got me in a pickle!)

It's being replaced by a Hipshot Supertone. Should be an improvement, and a lot easier to adjust!

4. re-using them will be fine, especially if your bridge is a quick release

I've got some cobalt flats here that I've moved across 3 different basses & right now they're in a cardboard box on my kitchen table, waiting to go back on my Ibanez SRX.

theevilplankton likes this.
  5. Thanks guys, appreciated. Didn't fancy splashing out another £38 ($29) on another set!

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  6. How did this all go horribly wrong? Pics?

7. My silly fault adjusting the 3-point bridge!

I tried to follow instructions - but a pesky buzz on the D string really threw me.

Eventually, I got a little, 'miffed', and gave one side a large turn which resulted in one of the ferrules coming virtually out of the hole!

Believing I was out of my depth, I got it back to a relative state of tension, and after a bit of TB research, got straight on to ordering a Hipeshot Supertone to replace it.

Once fitted, should be a great improvement all round!

8. Mechayoshi

Mechayoshi

Dec 7, 2015
    Tennessee
    I've literally swapped sets of strings between basses or on and off the same one dozens of times. Just make sure the core doesn't unravel and it's fine. ;)