1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keepers of the Low...

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by excane, Mar 12, 2009.

1. Fulltone Bassdrive

5 vote(s)
    12.8%
  2. Landmine Distortion

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. BOSS (please specify model)

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  4. Digitech (please specify model)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  5. DOD (please specify model)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Sansamp Bassdriver

18 vote(s)
    46.2%
  7. Sansamp Paradriver

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  8. HBE Hematoma

6 vote(s)
    15.4%
  9. HBE Big D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Krank Distortus Maximus

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  11. Ibanez (please specify model)

3 vote(s)
    7.7%
  12. Maxon (please specify model)

1 vote(s)
    2.6%
  1. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Simple question and poll....

I would like to know what your favorite overdrive/distortion pedal is that keeps the most low-end.

Please keep fuzz boxes out of the running now, I'm only interested in overdrive/distortion.

This is not another "recommend me an overdrive" thread.
    I simply want to know from your personal equipment setup and experience, what effect pedal retains the most bottom.

I will put a poll up shortly, but please by all means, if you have an effect that is not on the list jump in and let me know.
    For all the major manufacturers, please specify which model if you choose that option.

Cheers :)

2. whoatherechunk

whoatherechunk

Apr 4, 2008
    i like my b sharp music malazadas

3. grygrx

grygrx Lookout! Here comes the Fuzz! Supporting Member

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I've not tried them all, but 'landmine' is NOT the answer.

4. ga_edwards

ga_edwards

Sep 8, 2000
    UK, Essex
    I can't say I've tried any of the above, but IMO a blend control is key. A side effect of distortion is a lack of low end, so a blend control that lets you retain some of your clean signal is essential to retain the lows.

I mean, I love the colour of my 80s Marshall Guv'nor, but it's not usuable with bass on it's own IMO. Even with a substantial boost, it seems to disappear in the mix. I now use it in the fx loop of my Zoom B9.1ut, set with a 50/50 wet/dry mix, and it's given it a new lease of life.

5. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY

I am well aware of all of this....maybe I should be a little more specific....

I am asking which pedal from your own experience retains the most low-end without the need of blending or any other signal devices. Meaning, if the pedal itself has a blend control that's fine....otherwise, doesn't count.

I'm interested in what people prefer as a stand-alone solution that keeps the most bass.

6. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Curious, why do you say this?

7. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    +1. Seems like the crunchy, aggressive tones I like often only come about by sacrificing a bit of low end. Same with the XXLB, Rust Ride and to a lesser extent the Bassdrive.

I wouldn't call the BDDI an overdrive/distortion per se, but it won't lose the low end unless you purposefully dial it out. Mids are another story, but it can be as bassy as you want.

As far as actual dirtboxes, based on what I've tried from your list, I'd say the Hematoma is a contender for retaining low end.

8. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Just as a side note, all of the options on the poll are pedals I myself either own or have used.

9. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Ibanez PD7 isn't bad. The dirt side of the MXR M-80 works well since it has a blend on it. VT Bass gets a high rank.

10. rcubed

rcubed

May 8, 2008
    San Diego, CA
    Any pedal I build keeps the low end. :ninja:

11. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    Because I've used it, and it doesn't hold the low end well when compared to some others, even a couple on your list.

12. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY

Interesting...from my experience the bass is overwhelming. This pedal does react drastically different to active and passive basses though.

13. grygrx

Dec 24, 2003
    Columbia, MO
    I will suggest a difference between 'holding the low end' and 'adding a boomy thud'.

14. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    Ok, I suppose :eyebrow:

I did not think it "added a boomy thud". Without maxing out the bass on it and trying to achieve a relative unity volume, I felt it just retained what I had in my original signal, but different strokes for different folks. :)

15. also, the hjärt-müller bassdrive deserves an honorable mention

no pics = no pedals, mister back-to-the-breadboard! :rolleyes:

16. BJFE Blueberry
    Devi Ever Dark Boost

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Valve Drive.

18. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    ^^ I forgot about that one.

19. Mark Olson

Mark Olson Banned

Mar 19, 2008
    Michigan
    Hey, have you tried the Big D? As far as I know, I'm the only person on here who's owned one... I thought it worked ok on bass, though not really spectacular on the bottom end and it's very glassy in my experience. I eventually sold it to a friend, but he's still got it, I'll have to borrow it from him and give it another go, maybe do some clips...

20. excane

excane Banned

Aug 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I've used it for a few years, I have a very early model :)

I agree, it lost a bit too much on the bottom.

This is a photo from at least 4 years ago, before I sold it:

closeup1.