1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keepin’ it Fresh and Fun

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Helix, Oct 26, 2018.

1. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    For myself I get a little burned out playing the same songs over and over. What keeps if fresh for me is learning something new, especially if it's a little challenging at first.

So here's my formula; come up with something new, sit down record it, listen to the parts that need work and play it again and again until it's perfect.

Then do a final finished recording, maybe upload it to my Soundcloud (so I can share it), and BAM, something new to keep it fresh and fun.

What do you guy's do??

2. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I usually don't get that detailed when I'm dispelling boredom or burn out. I'll typically just throw on a Pandora channel and jam with whatever come up - typically in a style of music that I'm not actually working on. Great ear training without really thinking of it that way plus I get to play the song however I want - I'm not prepping it for a performance, just jamming, so If I want to have a go at say, the flute solo, nobody's the wiser nor cares! It just allows for getting time in while just having fun.

Helix likes this.
  3. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    I think doing what I do gives me a project that last a few days, so it keeps my attention with learning parts that maybe a little difficult at first

4. mrcbass

mrcbass

Jan 14, 2016
    Sacramento, CA
    I get it and not saying your is a bad plan - it's what you need to refresh and it's good to challenge yourself that way.

I have plenty to work on - 30+ original jazz fusion tunes for one project and 75+ classic rock/country tunes for my new bar band project. I usually just want an hour or so to clear the mind from the grind of working out solos for fusion project or the mindlessness of burning in the classic rock lines. With my jam, I get my "work" in without the pressure of it being necessary.

Helix likes this.
  5. lz4005

lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    Everyone in my main band suggests new songs all the time. Always something to learn, or a different way of playing something we already do. Involving other people keeps it constantly changing and improving.

Helix likes this.
  6. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Yeah, we’re actually thinking about adding a horn section....so that will make it interesting

Gotta find the right people first :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2018
  7. The guitar player in my band and I usually get together one night a week at my place and just hang out and pick a bit. I have a little drum pattern feature on a multi effect unit, and some drum loop apps on my phone and I'll just pick one out and we'll jam out a tune. Some become something and some don't but it keeps things fresh.

BnB

Helix likes this.
  8. Helix

Helix California U.S.A.

May 29, 2015
    Sounds fun!

FWIW, back in my high school days, my best friend played guitar, and that's what we use to do.... just hang out and play whatever came to mind......I miss this those days.

bound'n'blocked likes this.