Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping a maple neck white.

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Ozzyman, Nov 23, 2004.

1. Ozzyman

Ozzyman

Jul 21, 2004
    I was wondering if there is anything I can do to keep my maple fretboard from turning yellow. It hasn't yet, but I've heard stories of them turning yellow and I think that would look atrocious. I like my fretboard to be nice CLEAN white :)
    Are there any solutions to clean it with? Maybe coat the fretboard with something? Or is it inevitable?
    Any help is appreciated :)

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

None that I know of. Old coated maple turns yellow and it's a good thing. :)

3. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    You've got it all wrong.

Maple furniture turns yellow.

Basses get "mojo".

Extra mojo is gained by playing it enough to wear spots through the finish on the fretboard, causing it to look dirty.

Please note that fretboard wear must be produced by actual playing, not by sandpaper as seen in the Fender "Relic" models. Faking wear and tear should be avoided, as many people are of the opinion that this actually creates negative mojo.

4. And negative mojo creates a vacuum that sucks your own mojo to make it's own. You'll be half the mo you used to jo if you do that.

And it's not "yellow" - it's "amber" like the semi-precious stone and there ain't a damn thing you can do about it.

Relax and grow old gracefully ;)

5. etherbass

etherbass

May 24, 2004
    the darkening maple is a sign of wisdom... i always pay attention to a guitar, and player who have aged... haha man your fretboard will just do it.. it looks cool..has character to it