1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeping a tube amp in a garage.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tom dicus, Oct 12, 2019 at 9:00 PM.

1. tom dicus

tom dicus Supporting Member

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    i suck at bass but will never give up
    I have an Ampeg SVT and a Marshall VBA400. I use them with a couple Peavey VB810's. I would like to keep one amp and cab in my garage to play but I'm concerned with the changes in humidity and temperatures. I assume you folks have heard it gets cold in Alaska. I keep the garage around 67 degrees all winter and it's an 800 sf garage so its plenty big. Question is, should I be concerned for the amps in any way? I certainly don't keep the doors open any longer than necessary, but I am a bit concerned.
    If anyone has any insight, I'd appreciate it greatly.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon slow downer. https://tinyurl.com/y5dcuqjg
    I suggest putting it up on a crate and keeping it covered.

No comparison to temps in CA but it keeps the dust out and everything in good shape.

Maybe @Wasnex @JimmyM will chime in.

Wasnex likes this.
  3. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    Thank you.
    I figured it should be covered but hadn't thought of elevating it. The amp will sit on the cab with earthquake straps and the cab will sit next to the far wall away from the cars and a couple inches off the concrete.

4. Wasnex

Wasnex

Dec 25, 2011
    Could be a recipe for rust. Anytime metal is exposed to colder air I believe it will condense a bit of moisture from the air. If you use the garage to house a vehicle that is driven daily, the amp will be exposed to a temperature cycle when you leave and when you return. I would also expect elevated humidity due to winter slush melting off your vehicle. Placing the amp where it will be protected from the elements, covering it, and limiting the duration when the garage door is open should help some.

The only music gear I have in the garage is a used snake I bought awhile back, and it's in flight case. Pretty much anything in there is eventually covered with spider webs and dust.

5. tom dicus

May 17, 2017
    Wasilla, AK USA
    I believe you are correct. I thought about the humidity situation for about 4 seconds. I really want to jam in my garage but not at the cost of my equipment! You clinched the deal. Not gonna do it.
    Thanks
    Tom

Wasnex likes this.
  6. If you are paying to heat the garage you can run a dehumidifier as well. You get the energy used by running the dehumidifier off the heating requirement. Kinda nutty from where I sit, but Alaska....

Stumbo likes this.