1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Keeping bass in gigbag

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by xXMurderSoulXx, Aug 8, 2007.

1. Well I ran a search, didn't find the answer. Hopefully this is the right place to ask. I usually keep my bass in it's hardshell case, but it's a pain in the ass to putt out of under my bed every time I want to play. Would it hurt my bass to leave it in it's gig bag tilted onto my amp? I have a musicians friend gig bag, and a thunderbird 5, so I have to leave the top slightly unzipped because it's too tall. Will leaving it up against the amp hurt the neck?

2. Baryonyx

Baryonyx Banned

Jul 11, 2005
    Marathon Man
    I'd try to find somewhere more secure than resting against the front of your amp. One of my basses kept in a bag is sandwiched between the hardcase for my Kubicki and the hardcase for my brothers K-7. My other bagged bass is wedged behind my bed so it won't move!

3. BassProle

BassProle

Jul 2, 2007
    I guess if you were to play it everyday then it wouldnt hurt it in terms of the pressure on the neck wouldnt build up.

I guess Id be more worried about the Bass falling over and getting damaged though (even if it is in a gig bag)

Whenever I pay for my bass to be setup, im always really anxious about knocking it and think "oh, theres £1.50 of setup gone..." Thats a bit lame I guess though!

Why not get a stand and put that in front of your amp?

Much safer and cooler, you can get them off ebay for less than $10?

4. BillMason

BillMason Supporting Member

Mar 6, 2007
    +1 a stand is the way to go for sure. You need one, just like you need a strap and a cable.

5. hoosierdad

hoosierdad

Sep 1, 2003
    Indiana
    I often think it would be great to use a gig bag - and I have a couple of nice extra padded one - but never know where to lean it at a gig or pack it in my truck - or even lean it at home - so I just keep on lugging that big old wooden Fender Bass case around with me.

6. I keep two of my Reverends in a double gig bag, leaning up against the corner where one wall meets another. Never had a problem. My third one lives in the hard case.

7. hang it on the wall...

hello, Canton, home of the pro football hall of fame...:)

8. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

May 11, 2007
    I think some ppl get a bit too paranoid about their gear :)
    You can use a gig bag and nothing will happen to your bass; however,you should always leave it in a position/place that will keep it safe from any accidents (an accidental fall off of the bass from a vertical position is more likely to cause problems than a hipothetical warping of the neck because of leaning towards the amp). If you're fed up with taking the bass in and out of the hardcase, buy a guitar stand - it will keep the bass secure.

9. Dbassmon

Dbassmon

Oct 2, 2004
    Rutherford, NJ
    If the bass is easily accessible, you will play it more. Use a stand, wall hanger or other such device and the bass is ready to play at all times.

As your back gets worse, assuming it does over time, you won't want to be on your hands and knees pulling a heavy case out from under the bed every time you want to play.

My practice studio has all my best basses hanging on the wall ready to grab and play.

10. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    Why not leave it on a guitar stand or install one of the Wall Hangers on your wall?

11. T-MOST

T-MOST Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2004
    NJ via NYC
    I keep my basses in the gig bag. When they are home they lean against a wall. I have been doing this for years and I can say that this has absolutely NO effect on the bass. I don't leave my basses out on stands because I want to keep them from dust. These instruments are not made from egg shells. You have to try really hard to destroy them.

12. +1

13. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Wall hangers are great because you can't knock the bass over. I tend to keep my nicer basses on the wall.

14. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    I have a custom made Campellone bass that was made about 20 yrs ago. It has never been in a case (gig bag only). It has traveled all around the country with me. I've moved many times, I was in the military, it's still in perfect condition. Get a quality gig bag and it should be fine.

15. bhengko

bhengko

Aug 7, 2007
    what's a good gig bag? any brand?

16. p0k

p0k I play the bass and design things. Supporting Member

Feb 6, 2007
    Brockton, MA
    the g&l gig bags are nice

17. Rugaar

Rugaar

Apr 11, 2007
    wisconsin
    +1

I can't tell you how many times I've had some time to kill so I'll pick up my bass and play for a bit, even if it's only for a couple minutes. No way that'd happen if I had to mess around with a case or a gig bag.

18. my basses live in their cases in my closet, and my favorite one at that point, lives and sleeps on the bed with me :)

19. wave rider

wave rider

Jan 5, 2005
    +1 for stand/wall hanger

I play much more with the basses staring at me rather than being hidden away...

=wr=

20. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Absolutely not. There are only a few ounces of pressure there, which are minutely trivial compared to the other forces bearing on the neck.

Think about it.

Knocking it over, etc., are different issues, though.