1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeping battery powered pedals plugged in

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by OnederTone, Jan 19, 2012.

1. OnederTone

OnederTone Aguilar Everywhere Gold Supporting Member

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    For the longest time I was a no-effects guy, or at the most one pedal between my bass and amp. Well, that's changed and I'm starting to see the light, or be lured by the dark side... I'm so confused.

When it was one pedal I powered it with a 9v and plugged and un-plugged when I was done. Got a second pedal, it's not that much more trouble... Added 2 more and now I'm wondering what to do.

I know I eventually want to get a Voodoo Labs or similar power supply, but that's not in the budget for this month, so for the next few weeks is it ok to keep the pedals plugged in on battery power? Will they drain the same way an active pre will drain if you keep it plugged in, or does the effect have to be engaged for the battery to drain?

Keep in mind I'm not planning on doing this forever, just until I decide on and get a decent power supply.

2. Yes, With a cable plugged into the input side of a pedal powered by a 9v battery it will drain all the time whether the effect is on or not, same way and active preamp will. Leaving the output side plugged in is totally fine.

3. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
    Thanks. I knew there was something like that... memories from HS garage band days with a guitarist unplugging all his boss pedals every time he left to go pee.

I'm off to go scrounge change in the cushions of the couch. There goes my retirement fund.

4. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
  5. OnederTone

Aug 15, 2002
    Thornton, CO
  6. scottfeldstein

scottfeldstein Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2011
    West Bend, Wisconsin
    Mine works fine. And if you're nervous about reliability, get two of them. Leave one in your bag for emergencies.