1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeping email lists private

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by BassChuck, Apr 28, 2009.

1. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    I want to start an email list to all our fans, but I DON'T want the people getting the emails to be able to see the addresses of the other fans. I'm thinking that most people really don't want their address published.

How can I do this?

2. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    With many email programs, you can set up groups and the recipients will only see the group name. The other alternative is to put everyone's address in the BCC so that none will show up.

Which email program do you intend to use?

3. jonathanhughes

jonathanhughes Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    The simplest way is to put all the addresses in teh BCC field (blind carbon copy)

4. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    The email has to have an address in the "To" section... of course I could sent that to myself, no problem. As I understand it, putting all the other addresses in the Bcc place would then hide all the address from my email (the address in the "To" section) but all the Bcc's would be visable to each other.

5. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
    No, the bcc recipients will only see the "to" address, but not the other bcc recipients.

I've also used Yahoo Groups in the past, which works reasonably well. We're now using a pay service--I don't remember the name offhand.

6. mikeyswood

mikeyswood Banned

Jul 22, 2007
    Cincinnati OH
    Luthier of Michael Wayne Instruments
    ...or just use gmail.

7. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    OK thanks.

8. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    Yes, this is definitely a Bcc: application. It's what Bcc: is for.

You should set up a free POP3/SMTP account with GMail and service your fan list from a mail client like MS Mail or Thunderbird. Doing it this way will be the most efficient and professional once you get it set up.

Good luck!

9. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    Put your own address in the To: field and the mailing list in the BCC: field.

Or use a mailing list program as the others have suggested. This will allow you to personalize the messages. If you have names in your email list database, you can make the program fill in their names in each message.

10. Hotmail also does BCC.

11. Adam Bomb

Adam Bomb

Mar 26, 2008
    Bezerkely, CA
    I thought this thread was going to be about keeping your friends' email addresses private from other band members. Our drummer told us to give him all of our friends' email addies and I just wrote back "LOL no". A week before the gig I bcc'd 60 of my closest friends with the show info. Five days later the drummer emailed whoever, with wrong info.

Do any of you folks really turn over the contact info for all of your friends, connections etc. to whoever the self-proclaimed promoter of your band is?

Yeah, I'm hijacking this thread.

--Bomb :bassist:

12. crijan

crijan Supporting Member

Jul 6, 2005
    Dallas, Texas
    Endorsing: JH Audio IEMs
    I also keep my personal email list private.

13. BassChuck

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Thanks for the good info. The Bcc thing works fine... although there about a 100 different ways to do this with different email accounts and software. I just didn't want other folks hijacking my email lists.

thanks again

14. ForSix

ForSix

Jul 22, 2008
    If you are using Outlook, there is a "Send personally" option.

What this does is that it sends individual e-mails to each recipient so that no recipient can see the other names on the list.