Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping in Key?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by patrickroberts, May 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    Wheni listen to bands like Oasis and the Sterophonics etc etc, the bass is easy - you know you just play the root note of the chord that is being played - and maybe do a little improv, and that is basically it! But with things like Crossroads by Cream, and a lot of tracks by Led Zeppelin, and the red hot chilis how do the bass players keep in key? when they aint got a root note to go on really - say if the guitarist is in a solo or something...how does the bassist keep in key?

2. he plays notes in the scale of the chord. i dont get what your saying...

3. sLapshock

sLapshock

Nov 12, 2004
    Singapore
    u havent heard L'ARC~EN~CIEL basslines. they are crazy basslines.

try HONEY, DRIVER'S HIGH, BLURRY EYES

4. When the guitatist goes into a solo, he knows where he is in the tune and what chords are in effect, (at least he should).

As a bassist you should know the same things. :smug: Because you are not there just to follow the guitarist, you are holding the groove and should be adding harmony to the tune.

Bottom line, put your memory to work, be a musician, and learn the changes to the tune.

..............Jim

5. Chili

Chili

Mar 8, 2005
    Newcastle/England
    yeah i no what u mean, like the guitar could be playing something on the verse or chorus, and the bass is doin something completely diffferant like it sown little thing but still fits, i am not sure how people like Flea do it, probs just from experiance, but the best way to do it in my veiw is to just jam, do something that comes into ur head and if it fits and sounds good keep it

6. Tash

Tash

Feb 13, 2005
    Bel Air Maryland
    Or you could learn some theory, pay attention to the guitarist so you know what the song is really doing, and write your basslines to support the actual chords in the song. Its usually much faster than playing random notes and hoping for something that'll sound good.

7. pwnd

i love this board!! :hyper: :D

8. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
  9. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    For the love of...I thought this guy looked familiar. Here's one of Patrick's posts from 6/11/2003:

"i would like to start learning about scales and other theory....can anybody tell me where i can find out more and learn about them and how to play them"

http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1010236#post1010236

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There are similar posts going back five years. Time to update the ol' Ignore List...

10. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    I'm not allowed to post here untill I act like a grownup....

11. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Nah, I'm gonna kiss Tash's. His post rocked. :spit:

(Sorry about the mess, Jon!)

12. patrickroberts

patrickroberts

Aug 21, 2000
    Wales, UK
    oh no, i think i may cry myself to sleep - buti do have a life outside of this website, unlike you by the looks of it

13. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    There are any number of these posted over the last 3 years or so, apparently his "life outside of this website" doesn't include practicing at all.

My favorite BobRoberts post was the one where he couldn't figure out how to do an alternate tuning to notes that weren't on his tuner. Which was posted only a couple of days AFTER his question about what he needed to do to get a record contract.

You know lump, if instead of saying "Here's one of.." you say "More on Patrickroberts..." you kind of reinforce your point with some subtlety...

14. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    wow, after reading that i'd assume you were 12. then i looked at your profile...birth year...1983...:eek:

i guess it's just Down Syndrome then.:scowl:

15. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    Good tip. Sadly, subtlety is not one of my stronger suits. :(

Ah, the memories are all flooding back now. And I thought I was a case of arrested development. Granted, I've said some things on here I'm not particularly proud of, but at least I was drunk. ;)

Hmmm, Jon hasn't shut this down yet. Golly, I don't want to bother him. Heck, no one reads the stuff in Technique anyway. And I haven't been called a weiner since I was 5. This could be fun. I say let it ride. :cool:

16. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Drum Roll, please...

...KUNGFUQUA'd!

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Almost.
    No one reads your posts in the "Technique" Forum.

DOH!

...and don't be a stranger, dude; my $20 goes a lot further when you're reeking havoc.

18. lump

lump

Jan 17, 2000
    St. Neots, UK
    LOL. Apparently Ed ain't the only one laying down the smack these days. ;)

Busy as hell. Stupid north Koreans. Those guys really piss me off sometimes. :spit:

19. bongo499

bongo499

Jan 10, 2005
    syosset
    Modes... they make many many many more possibilitys plus flea goes out of the key sometimes to play basslines... but theory doesnt matter with that its all about if it sounds good. USE YOUR EAR :hyper:

20. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    Sorry, was out furthering the cause of democracy for a week...

We're done here, I think we can all agree...watch the closing door....

Final note: Roberts, next offensive post like that will get you banned. No further warnings.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.