Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

::Keeping it fresh:: bassists that continue to be the greats that they are!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by j-raj, Sep 26, 2005.

1. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    I'm interested to hear from TB'ers who in their opinion has kept as innovative now, as they did when they first hopped on the scene.

[​IMG]
    I would have to say Avishai Cohen really continues to amaze me with his writing, from his first stuff I have with Bob Moses on Falling with Grace and Danilo's Panamonk to his work with Chick (Origins) and his fleet of amazing solo albums like Lyla.

[​IMG]

2. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Dave Holland: The finest bassist to have come out my home county (West Midlands, UK). Dave was a key component of London's emerging free jazz scene in the late '60s; brought the Fender bass into Miles Davis' early electric explorations, delved into free/avant-garde jazz in the '70s and has since emerged as the most accomplished pure jazz double-bassist/composer/bandleader since Mingus. I don't think he has ever put a foot wrong. Love his playing with Miles, the 'Gateway' trio, Kenny Wheeler and his own quintets/big band.

[​IMG]

Dominique di Piazza:
    Will this man's playing ever plateau? Only a handful of recordings over the years, but they're all good: John Mclaughlin's 'Que Alegria'; Front Page; The Bass Trio.

[​IMG]

3. I would have to say ryan martinie. I know he hasnt been around for long, but his stuff still manages to amaze me. He's getting better, much better. His line in 'Happy?' just blew me away, just like Dig and Death Blooms did.

4. Dr. Cheese

Dr. Cheese Gold Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2004
    Metro St. Louis
    I would have to second Dave Holland. I'm not much of a straight ahead jazz fan, but I remember seeing his big band at a Jazz festival in Clayton Missouri and even my wife was dropping her jaw saying "He can play the hell out of that bass!" I've got to pick up some of his records for my collection.

I would add my favorite bassist of all time, Anthony Jackson to list of people who continually innovate and maintain a high standard also. Finally Jeff Berlin is one has who made it a point to never rest on his laurels either.

5. John Patitucci.... you can hear such development in his playing, writing sophistication, etc. as you listen to his early to later CD's. The writing, arrangements, etc. of his most recent CD's are so good that you would never know it's a 'bass CD'/

6. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Avishai is great, fo sho.
    Jeff Berlin way up there too. He's only getting better now, and that's kind of scary.
    John Patitucci is wonderful too, he just stays up there, a constant driving force.
    Dave Holland will never tire. He, like Chick and Herbie, come from the old school, constantly innovating and growing.

Oh and Rocco is back and still grooves like no other. He's not innovating but he's just kicking ass.

7. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

Jack Casady.

8. The Owl

The Owl

Aug 14, 2005
    Atlanta GA
    So true, John Patitucci, like Anthony Jackson is not just a bassist, but a true musical artist! , an extremely rare breed these days. Each of his solo discs are so different and unique, even his early GRP solo albums showed an deep artist emerging, particularly "Sketchbook". John really did set out to become a complete musician as opposed to just a bassist by itself.

Dave Holland is pure brilliance, he transcends his instrument and creates detailed and engaging music as a complete picture, not just cute backgrounds to solo over.

Steve Swallow, another one of the true greats who has blazed some trails as a composer too. This guy is Mr Melody!

Jimmy Johnson, who I've seen play in anumber of situations brings a deep musicality and melodic sense to wherever he plays, tons of melody, great grooves that hold your attention and are NEVER static.

Percy Jones, a true innovator on fretless and still creating like mad these days (and I don't get why some people compare him with Jaco, he doesn't sound a thing like Jaco at all!).

Donning flame suit here, somehow I find it impossible to like Jeff Berlin at all, given these factors:

1) His rather HUGE ego

2) I've listened to his solo stuff and found it long on sheer technique but really short on musical substance, the guy just cannot write! To my ears, his solos are just constant volleys of fast notes ALL THE TIME devoid of any melody just like Al DiMeola did on guitar. BOOORRRRRINNNNGGG!

I have heard moments where he actually got over himself for a few moments and created something that actually got my attention (some chordal playing he did with Allan Holdsworth back in the early 80's live), otherwise, he just seemed to be in this CONSTANT showoff mode "PAY ATTENTION TO ME, LOOK HOW FAST I CAN PLAY".

I tried to believe Jeff, I really did but came away disappointed.

9. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    I'm going to go with Geddy Lee

[​IMG]

10. corrosiontrav

corrosiontrav

Sep 9, 2005
    I would say Mike Dean from Corrosion of Conformity. Everytime COC comes out, it amazes me what he can do.

11. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Hawaii
    LOL...John Patitucci is one of those guys that is so f'nnn great I always overlook him :bassist: I'll throw Tom Kennedy's name in the ring too....he's been around for more than twenty years, and always blows me away. Gary Willis also!!

12. kazamamaster

kazamamaster

Sep 15, 2005
    Richmond, VA

Are you serious? Both he and Al Dimeola the same? Get outta here! Al is on of the more tasteful guitarists of the time---better than Pat Metheny, Stern, and anyone else you want to bring up. Not to mention his complex compositions. I'm sorry but both he and Berlin are animals at their craft, and Berlin's phrasing is out of this world......

13. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    All of them.

14. Lorenzini

Lorenzini

Dec 31, 2004
    Los Angeles
    I apologize, I have no idea what you are talking about. :spit:

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Fixed it for you.

16. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    thank you.

17. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Agree with some(Dave Holland)...others I find still playing as well today as they did in the past(Geddy, Flim, Berlin, etc).

My addition(kinda late since he's now deceased)-
    I recall watching the 9-11 NYC Concert...IMO, Entwistle ripped; I thought, "...now here's a '60s Rocker that has obviously been in the shed...still". Many of that generation are really 'no better' now than they were in '70(many are actually even worse).
    Just one man's opinion.

18. YOU AIN'T KIDDIN', SON!

I caught COC both times they came to Seattle. The second time- their headlining tour- I even shook the man's hand. Humble guy, great player. His licks on "In the Arms of God" are fantastic, and really show how far he and the whole band has come since the "Animosity" years.

19. Steve Harris' songwriting has gone a tad downhill....but the man can still nail every Maiden classic he's pumped out.

Mike Dean, as I said before.

Martin Mendez isn't a legend per se, but his bass parts for Opeth just always come out picture-perfect. A great example is "The Drapery Falls,"- the intro especially.

Steve Digiorgio needs no explanation. The man has fretless metal chops. End of story.

20. I'm going to have to side with Owl on DiMeola.