Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping it in the family: Replacing SJB-2, keeping SPB-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, the Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz pickup I have in my bass doesn't work. It has this really hollow, almost effect-like sound to it but on only on the D and G strings. Hence, it needs replacing. I'd like something different, but I'm concerned that my SPB-2 (Hot for P), which I love to death, might not play well with other children. Should I keep it in the SD family, and if so, which pickup should I replace it with? Would it sound really uneven with a SD Quarter Pounder in there? How about a Hot Stack/regular Stack? Other companies?

Is it best to match magnet material? The Hot Stack, for instance, has the same magnets (Alnico 5 rods), versus the 1/4lb Jazz which has 0.25 Ø Alnico 5.

I'm also open to suggestions like a MusicMan pickup. How does a P/MM config sound? Just how much routing is necessary to widen up a J hole to fit a MM? Is it worth it?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Did you ever do anything w/ this?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nah, it ended up turning out that the pickups were out of phase. Kind of jumped the gun on that topic :oops:. I would still like to try a P/MM, but on a different bass.