1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeping it in the family: Replacing SJB-2, keeping SPB-2

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Aaron Saunders, Jan 15, 2004.

1. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Well, the Seymour Duncan Hot for Jazz pickup I have in my bass doesn't work. It has this really hollow, almost effect-like sound to it but on only on the D and G strings. Hence, it needs replacing. I'd like something different, but I'm concerned that my SPB-2 (Hot for P), which I love to death, might not play well with other children. Should I keep it in the SD family, and if so, which pickup should I replace it with? Would it sound really uneven with a SD Quarter Pounder in there? How about a Hot Stack/regular Stack? Other companies?

Is it best to match magnet material? The Hot Stack, for instance, has the same magnets (Alnico 5 rods), versus the 1/4lb Jazz which has 0.25 Ø Alnico 5.

I'm also open to suggestions like a MusicMan pickup. How does a P/MM config sound? Just how much routing is necessary to widen up a J hole to fit a MM? Is it worth it?

2. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Did you ever do anything w/ this?

3. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Nah, it ended up turning out that the pickups were out of phase. Kind of jumped the gun on that topic :oops:. I would still like to try a P/MM, but on a different bass.