Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping my bass in good condition?

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by d8g3jdh, Oct 27, 2005.

1. d8g3jdh

d8g3jdh Guest

Aug 9, 2005
    Hello

I have a G&L L-2000 Tribute, bought new and have had it for about 2 months, i would like to keep it around for as long as possible. I keep it in my room, which has a nice room temperature with no fluxuations, on a stand. However, im afraid that if i dont act now i will be kicking myself later. Whats a good way to go about making sure it stays in top quality? Please include every minor detail, no matter how insignificant it may seem.

Thanks!

2. keep it on a stand away from where it can get knocked...or keep it in a hard case under your bed...

storage is very important...

wipe it down after you play it...to remove sweat and acidic oils from your skin...

clean it as required...never use anything with silicone in it...
    lemon oil (dunlop 65 for example) is a good treatment about twice a year for the fretboard (no oil on a maple fretboard, however, just wipe it)...

a professional set up once a year is probably a good idea too...unless, of course, you want to do that yourself (I do my own)

most importantly...LOVE your bass...if it gets a ding or two...don't worry...it's about the love of playing it...not the love of keeping it pristine...

if you want a pristine bass...put it in a flight case and into a climate controlled room...and NEVER take it out...

3. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I keep my basses in a room that remains between 40 and 50% humidity, and try to keep it in the 60ish degree range. I have a dehumidifier that has a digital guage, and I also have a thermometer with 2 temp read-outs and a humidity read-out. This way I can guage roughly where the room atmosphere is hanging...since none of the commercially availible gear are very well calibrated. During the winter, once the heat is on and the humidity drops, I'll switch to a humidifier with a digital guage.

I don't choose to use a guitar polish, but instead use a high quality microfiber cleaning cloth (look for it as a car detailing cloth at automotive stores). This cloth cleans dirt and sweat very quickly and easily, but doesn't leave any of the 'spiderweb' polishing scratches that you see on lots of instruments.

I wipe down my bass and strings (with a different cloth) carefully after each time I play or practice. I keep my main playing bass in the case, but not closed up tight. All my other basses tend to be around and about.

I check action regularly and intonation as well, and usually it just means a tweak of the trussrod.

4. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    I keep my bass in a gig bag ..after everytime i play, or clean it.., because i have no stand, is this alright?

5. ganga

ganga

Jul 14, 2005
    It is. Just remember to clean it and keep it safe from unsafe things (feel the power of logics! :p). Never put your bass in a place you wouldn't feel comfortable yourself, even if it's just for 5 minutes.

6. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA

Just don't lean it in a corner. There's no danger per se, but it is a sad story waiting to be told.

7. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Keep it in the case and don't play it. Only way to keep it minty.

8. If you decide to polish your bass only use a 100% cotton cloth that has NEVER been used for anything else. That way you'll avoid the tiny scratches or swirl marks that can be caused by the wrong type of cloth or by fine debris in the cloth that can't be seen.

If you do get finger nail scratches in the finish they can be hand buffed out using Meguiar's Show Car Glaze 7. There are other products, that's just the one I've used for years on my basses.