Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Keeping my speaker from blowing

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by tallguybcs, Apr 6, 2001.

1. I just got a Peavey TNT-150, and I cranked it to 10 today, and the compresser light came on like all the time. The speaker is a black widow 15 inch, and i was just wondering if there is a chance that it might blow out. BTW, its 150 watt amp, and the speaker should be able to handle more then that, but im not sure

2. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    It's not just the power rating of your speaker. If you are sending a distorted signal to it you can trash it. Does it sound funny? Turn it down.

3. It sounds fine, but the compressor light always flashes on when its turned up, is that a prob?

4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Why do you have to turn it to 10 anyway? That's awfully loud.

Will C.:cool:

5. MJB

MJB

Mar 17, 2000
    Well it sounds as if your compressor is doing its job at keeping the distortion at bay. Playing this way gives you no headroom at all. IMO that compressor light should come on when playing your hardest plucked notes but not ALL the time. Sounds like you need a bigger amp and/or more speakers. Or better yet get the rest of the players to turn down.

6. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

No bass amp was made to be cranked to 10 and played all of the time. You had better hope that when the DDT compressor burns out that it doesn't allow sound to get to the speaker. If it does, the square wave distortion will kill the speaker.

Also, by running it at near 100% output constantly, you will overheat the amp and shorten it's life.

But hey, it's your amp, not mine, right?

7. Ok, I get the idea, I will just have to keep it down. Its no big deal, its just for church and practicing. If I can get a 4x10 I can match it with my traynor and have a nice rig.

8. AssMan

AssMan

Dec 2, 2000
    Minnesota, USA
    Carvin makes a great 4x10 for $400 direct. Good deal. I used to run my ampeg B3 at 10 all the time and it didn't hurt it all. The clip light was on when I'd touch my B. I had the gain at just below clipping too. I needed more head room anyhow and got my Redeye combo that's 600 watts vs. the B3's 150. The B3 sounded a tiny bit better, but because I had cranked, it was noisy as hell, and didn't have as much stuff as the Carvin. Most of the time with smaller combos like yours the speaker is made to take more than the amp can put out.