1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeping rig extendable - impendance?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by christoph h., Jan 13, 2004.

1. christoph h.

christoph h.

Mar 26, 2001
    Germany
    I'm currently in the market for a new cab 4x10 and have a problem with choosing the right impendance. While in the back of my head I know that I'll most likely never need anything more than a 4x10, I still have the perfectionistic idea of keeping my rig extendable.

I'm running a QSC PLX2402 poweramp, specs are here: http://www.qscaudio.com/products/amps/plx/plx.htm
    All of the cabs are rated at approx. 700-800w.

Scenarios:

1) 8 ohm cab

I could get an 8ohm cab, run it in bridged mode, receiving up to 1500w.
    When extending, I could add another 8ohm cab, daisy-chain them and receive up to 2400w @ 4ohm.

2) 4 ohm cab

While only having one cab I could run in either bridged mono or stereo mode, receiving up to 2400w (have to be careful, then) or 700w respectively.
    When extending, I can't daisy-chain them because the impendance of 2.6 ohms isn't supported by the QSC. But I could run in parallel/stereo mode with each cab getting 700w.

Questions:

1) Are the scenarios correct? Did I miss anything?

2) What would you suggest?

3) Is it overkill?

4) The PLX outputs "only" 700w @ 4ohm. Would this underpowering of a cab that's rated at 750w (Epi) or 800w (Accu) be dangerous?

To help me in choosing the actual type of cab, look here: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=112821

Thanks for reading!

2. NeedMoreBass

NeedMoreBass unregistered

Feb 14, 2003
    I like the 8 ohm cab idea. 1500 watts is plenty of power for any situation and leaves you open to add another 8 ohm cab.

3. Here's what I do:

I have a pair of PLX3002 that are good for 550 watts per channel (stereo) at 8 ohms, or 900 watts per channel at 4 ohms. Each of my 8-ohm subwoofers is good for 500 watts before the driver exceeds Xmax and becomes non-linear (distorts).

I bi-amp, and run a 1x15 sub in Left, and a 1x10 high in Right. When I need more noise, I run two 1x15 subs in Left and two 1x10 in Right. I can run three in each channel, but am down to 2.6 ohms, which I don't care for, even though the amp will support it. For outdoor gigs requiring massive noise, I run four 1x15, two in each channel, and use the 2nd amp for the high channels.

Your PLX2402 offers 425 watts per channel at 8 ohms and 700 watts into 4 ohms. Max power bridged is 2400 watts into 4 ohms. QSC says 4 ohms is safe to bridge (this is a 2 ohm per-channel load), but I don't like running this low. YMMV. Bridging also puts the maximum stress on the amp.

I suspect you will find a pair of 4x10 at 425 watts each, one in each channel, will deliver the noise level just fine.

The net result is I add cabs and wattage as required by the gig.