1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

keeping strings off??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Dec 15, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    will keeping the strings off my bass for an extended amount of tim hurt it? I had to change strings on one of my basses and i wasn't playing it so i just took the strings off of it. I thought this would be best for the neck in the long term, but someone told me this can hurt the bass. Is this safe or should i just slap a new set of strings on that bad boy.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All that could happen would be that the neck straightens out a bit.
    It should get back to normal after you put strings back on, may take a day or two though.
    It all depends on the quality of the neck, but a twist of the truss rod should fix it in any case.

3. Bassmouse3

Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    I always recommend to my customers, that if they want to keep the strings off the instrument, they should loosen the trussrod completelt, in order to avoid backbow... I suspect that without the severe counterpull of the strings, a neck could settle in with quite a bit of backbow.
    Best regards, Bassmouse3