Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

keeping strings off??

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by hyperlitem, Dec 15, 2001.

1. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    will keeping the strings off my bass for an extended amount of tim hurt it? I had to change strings on one of my basses and i wasn't playing it so i just took the strings off of it. I thought this would be best for the neck in the long term, but someone told me this can hurt the bass. Is this safe or should i just slap a new set of strings on that bad boy.

2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    All that could happen would be that the neck straightens out a bit.
    It should get back to normal after you put strings back on, may take a day or two though.
    It all depends on the quality of the neck, but a twist of the truss rod should fix it in any case.

3. Bassmouse3

Bassmouse3

Nov 12, 2001
    Valby, Denmark
    I always recommend to my customers, that if they want to keep the strings off the instrument, they should loosen the trussrod completelt, in order to avoid backbow... I suspect that without the severe counterpull of the strings, a neck could settle in with quite a bit of backbow.
    Best regards, Bassmouse3