1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Keeping the full bassballs attack, but reducing volume. Is a vol pedal the only way?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Noshtero, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I'm a big fan of the bassballs. The bassballs reacts to the signal it's given, right? The best way I can describe it is the depth of the filter is higher when the signal it's given is louder. If I turn the bass volume down, and amp volume up, I have almost no attack on the bassballs. If I switch the amp and bass volume to keep the same overall volume, then my bassballs attack is back. I put an EQ pedal in before the bassballs to test what would happen if I reduced the volume there, and same thing. So in order to keep my nice bassballs spacey attack, I need full volume going into the pedal.

The problem is, that is damned loud. So all my pedals are set for unity, but when I kick the bassballs on (which has no output control) it's loud as hell. I can't turn my bass volume down or I lose my attack.

Is my only option to use a volume pedal after the bassballs?

2. dannybuoy

dannybuoy

Aug 3, 2005
    England
    A volume pedal would be a bit too hit and miss. A better idea would be to use a passive attenuator, which is basically just a volume knob in a stompbox. There are some around, and they are also easy to build. You could also mod the pedal if you know how. I don't actually have a Bassballs though, and I've not heard of this problem before with this particular pedal.

3. If you can do that to reduce the volume via EQ, why can't you just put the EQ after the bassballs?

4. Bingo. Said it before I could.

5. Noshtero

Noshtero Supporting Member

Dec 2, 2007
    Chicago, IL
    I guess I could. I currently use that pedal as a boost. I was thinking maybe an active volume pedal like the visual volume pedal could serve both purposes.

Or I supppose I could always go the ghetto route and just bend down and adjust the output slider on the EQ pedal.

6. Bob C

Bob C

Mar 26, 2000
    Duluth, MN
    Try what dannybuoy said. Get an EHX Signal Pad (I think that's what it's called). Or try it with your eq (after the Bassballs) first, to see it it gives you the result you'tr after.

7. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Or a nice little limiter like the Guyatone BL2.

8. +1, I was just gonna suggest a limiter. In fact, I think its your best solution, because you could leave it on all the time, and not have to turn two pedals on and off. You can set it so that it doesn't screw with your sound except when the bassballs spikes

9. Aren't there trimpots inside the Bassballs one could screw with? I'm not sure what they may do, but they may get you the sound you're looking for...

10. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    They adjust the attack of the filters, they don't do anything to the volume.

11. Mr. Pickles

Mr. Pickles Supporting Member

Nov 11, 2006
    Dutchess County, NY
    actually, the internal trimpots adjust the eq of the filters. One is set at 200hz and the other at 800hz. Try attenuating them and see what happens.

12. Mudfuzz

Mudfuzz

Apr 3, 2004
    WA...
    Really? Then why do they effect the way it responds? are they before or after the filters then?

13. Proton Lenny

Proton Lenny Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2006
    Portland Oregon
    Thought I'd bring back this thread. I have the same problem as Noshtero. To drive the Bassballs the way I like it, I have to turn up the response knob. Which is also the volume of distortion when it is engaged (which it always is for me). Why they didn't separate these baffles me. So there is a volume spike when I turn the pedal on. Anybody know of a mod, and also a person who can mod, for this pedal to have an output control? Or a way to adjust the response of the filter and the volume of the distortion separately?

Proton